2»

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    CycloRos wrote:
    Does dirt jumping fit into XC or DH?

BMX hybrid.
    what about Slopestyle?

BMX hybrid (and who outside of a few pros actually do it?). Although I admit this one is a little difficult to convince myself of.
    trials?

BMX hybrid.
  • I mostly ride quarries, forestry tracks and natural XC sheep trails... :shock: With the more rare trip to a mountain to barrel down out of control. And every so often blasting around the town jumping off small kerbs and practising bunny hops and wheelies when nobody is looking (cause I am crap)
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I'm partial to a bit of mincecore-jeyride-lite myself.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • wrx
    wrx Posts: 27
    I'm into epic journeys pushing what I can do at the moment.

Just love being out in nature (bit of a hippy) and riding local trails, tracks, gravel roads you name it.

Exploring by an OS map, finding great downhill tracks in local woods and long runs around the ridgeway.

Doesn't have to be amazingly fast or technical (although I love the challenge).

For me, its all about getting out there and not sitting around at home!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've only recently been learning all these names for styles. I just muck about really looking for something fun to do and explore. XC / Trail riding I guess is me.

I'm not into racing at all though, or challenging climbs. Just doesn't do it for me. Nor do jumps. Much the same with skiing/boarding, I never get the thrill of going all the way to a ski resort only to stay in the snow park doing jumps all day, but anyway. Kids stuff really :D
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    To me it's 40% fun and 60% fitness.
    I do XC/trail riding with a bit of air (steps, jumps and drops up to 3feet) but I actually spend most of the time training on a road bike.
    Fitness part is very important for me and I treat every ride as a training session.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    My type of riding - Bareback.

Reason - It feels nice :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    XC on steroids. blasting around like a headless biker, thrashing down the trail centre trails, and loving the natural stuff i find and ride. i ride for fun, i ride for fitness. whatever, i ride for, i ride, and i love it.
    if it includes some DH, it includes DH, if it includes DJ it includes DJ, i dont pigeon hole myself. but i would say that im probably closest to agressive XC/trail
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Stuey01
    XXXC!!!!1!!!!!1!!!!

It's the future.
    Or the present.
    Or the past.

What's all this aggressive XC bo!!ocks? Cross country in a fullface helmet? Or starting fights with ramblers and farmers whilst on a ride?

Grrr.
  • joshtp
    ill tell you what agressive XC is, its fun, thats what it is.
    sseriously tho, its just like XC but in longer(er) travel bikes (usualy) riden very hard, very fast and enjoying the DH's more than the uphills. and not in lycra, or anything xc race related really. its not dtressed, its just fun. think freeride 20 years ago - muckin about and having fun! Freeridexc!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I just ride my bike

I ride it on fireroads
    I ride it on singletrack

I ride it uphill
    I ride it downhill

I ride it quickly
    I ride it slowly

I ride it on rough stuff
    I ride it on smooth stuff

Simples
  • joshtp
    its like a poem, the new shakespear!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    ...think freeride 20 years ago...
    so before you were born then :wink: was the term"freeride" even around in the late 80's?

There's been numerous posts on here trying to categorise the types of mountain bike riding, all of which pretty much end up like this :D

There's basically two types of people those who use all the latest buzz words to describe their riding and those who say I just ride.

This thread however is more about your type of ride and preference, in which case everyone's correct for once!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Stuey01
    ill tell you what agressive XC is, its fun, thats what it is.
    sseriously tho, its just like XC but in longer(er) travel bikes (usualy) riden very hard, very fast and enjoying the DH's more than the uphills. and not in lycra, or anything xc race related really. its not dtressed, its just fun. think freeride 20 years ago - muckin about and having fun! Freeridexc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you think it is, sorry for my sarcasm, I just find the term particularly amusing.

the reality is that the vast majority of us fit into the category JRA (Just Riding Along), or my preferred DAOB (dicking about on bikes).
    Whether you do this on an entry level hardtail, fully rigid singlespeed or a freecore AM DH-lite 6" travel "rig" is up to you, chances are you are riding the same stuff as 95% of the other mountain bikers out there.

I was out at the weekend on my hardtail, my mate was on his full susser, and we bumped into a lad on a his full rigid SS, and another on a freeride bike with a full face. We were all on the same trails, probably all with a slightly different interpretation of what we were doing, reality is it's pretty much all the same. That's why people take the mickey out of these terms and come out with the usual "Mountain Biking" response.
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    Well im lucky enough to have 4 bikes so can do all types of MTb'ing, DH, Jump/4X, XC and Hardtail XC. Its all about just going out and enjoying yourself. Im not the quickest Dh'er but pride myself on being quick on my Xc bike and the jump bike comes out now and again for a bit of fun, down say chicksands.
  • Stuey01
    Is "Hardtail XC" different to "XC"?
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I know what you think it is, sorry for my sarcasm, I just find the term particularly amusing.

What's even funnier is people who get all worked up about it.
  • Stuey01
    grumsta wrote:

What's even funnier is people who get all worked up about it.

Hardly worked up, just poking a little fun, all in good humour.

edit: perhaps I should use more smilies :lol::D:wink::D
  • mancjon
    mancjon Posts: 53
    I just like riding. I have just one bike, a trek 8000 hardtail and i'm as happy cycling road and off-road altho i guess my off-road would be classed as XC only rather than DH.

Just done a ride to Penzance from Bristol with a mixture of road, off-road and found it just as enjoyable as riding around local Timberland trail.

God, did i just say enjoyable - already the memory of the Dartmoor hills is fading fast then :)
  • Downhill!
    I simply get a feeling of sensation flying down a steep and rocky track at high speeds, and I believe no other type of biking can offer this feeling. :D
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    XC for me most of the time as it pretty much friggin flat where I live, biggest climb is 350ft :( , Harlstone firs at northampton is our local play ground
    Do like the centres for what they are though, good fun for a fast blast
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    I prefer to point the bike down, but i'm an average uphill rider, i like the fact that most of the time when i make the climbs, you feel great when you've done it...

But again, with 90% of uphills theres always a DH... :D Been to the NYM twice in the past 2 weeks with some guys (and girl) from here, some very varied stuff if you can find it. Long climbs, easy climbs, steep climbs, tech DH, rocky DH etc... all good!
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    XC/singletrack and erm techinical (not sure what going over huge rocks through trees qualifies as)

It's all on my doorstep and I get to see some seriously nice views on the way....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    (not sure what going over huge rocks through trees qualifies as)

Freemince.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Am I XC? No, I'm not whippet-like (more bear-like).
    Maybe I'm Trail? No, I only have a hardtail.
    DH then? Well, I like going downhill.
    AM then? I need 6" of travel for that.

If I were to label my type of riding it would be "mountain biking" - beacuse that's all it was called in the 90's when I started. It's only in the last few years that the industry has got all into labels.

Recently I was on a dig with some teenagers who were mocking an adult for referring to them as "mountain bikers". Apparently, they were "dirt jumpers" only.
    Tawa Off Road Riders Club
    http://torrcinc.ning.com

"Pain is just weakness leaving the body"