fork service £60 + shock service £20 !!!

sirlylos
sirlylos Posts: 234
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Fellas,

I put my bike in to the LBS for a service in the hope that they would check my forks and give them a service. When I picked it up they hadn;t touched the forks/rear shock and told me it would cost an extra £80 to look at both.

I'm not keen on giving my LBS more cash considering I've just parted with £140 for a new rim and a basic service. Any ideas on whether I should try my own service? does anyone know of any decent tutorials to follow?

Cheers,

sirlylos
1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
1997 - Specialized Hardrock
2003 - Specialized FSR XC
2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
2009 - Giant Defy 3
2010 - Voodoo Wanga
2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105

Comments

• What forks are they?

Seems steep for a LBS service charge considering they'll probably just replace the seals and oil, if they're decent forks get them sent off to Mojo (Fox) or TF Tuned for a propper service
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    As JM says, depends on the fork really

meh, I was charged about that for the annual fork services on my bikes this summer. TF are 70 quid ish iirc.

for sure find out what you get for that and have a check on the interweb for servicing guides to see if you think you're up to doing it yourself.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Fork servicing is actually quite easy,if you are just goiing to service the lowers,but you will need a reasonable selection of tools before you start,such as a rubber faced mallet,allen keys,10 and 24mm sockets,etc before you start plus fork oil.
    If they are Rockshox there are some very good video tutorials on their website and on you tube.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    Thanks for the repsonse so far fellas, the shocks are:

front:

Fox F100 RL 100mm, air spring, rebound/compression adj w/ lock out, alloy steerer

rear:

Specialized Fox Brain Fade, adjustable from HT firm to Trail Tune, air spring, rebound adjust

I'm all up for doing it myself as I begrudge paying for this type of thing. If I buy the tools then that'll do me for the next time they need servicing. Not sure what talas stands for but do you think this would be all I need?

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/service_videos/talas_service.htm
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    80 to service both is a bargain if they are really going to service them.

you are looking at 200 plus postage for a proper service.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Forks are easy job, new seals and oil will be around £25, providing thats all that needs doing, ie doesnt need new bushes...not sure on shock as ive never did one.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Sounds like a good deal to me, My F100RLCs cost £99 to service at Mojo via my LBS. that included the LBS removing/re-installing the fork. The service was spot on and Mojo replaced the steerer, crown and uppers as part of the warranty for a fault they saw inside the fork. So all in all I was happy.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Pace have a monopoly on servicing my rear shock and charge £100 for the privelege. A new shock is only £150.