Astana sign new financial deal today

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/ ... 2328_x.htm

Are they going to hire some riders now?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Who? Everyone's under contract by now. For example Agritubel rode their last race at Paris-Tours and only four riders don't have a contract for 2010.

Interestingly Bruyneel and Armstrong have gone to RadioShack with Gallopin, Ekimov and Demol as DS, plus Azevedo taking on a new job behind the wheel. But no Yates.

Vino, if you're reading this, I'm available to ride for 2010. We can discuss contract terms.
  • They will be signing up more Kazakhs, but not Kashechkin.
  • Have Rock Racing got a few has been dopers going spare?
    Shack have signed up all the bargain basement riders who are half decent.
    Whats left are the leftovers.
    Who are contractless and desperate enough to sign for Astana.
    The Kazakh academy can't plug these huge squad gaps.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I cant really see any rider wanting to sign for Astana in their current state. I guess a lot will depend upon the new backers and who is brought in on the management side as I would assume that if it’s a big name they may well be able to convince a number of riders to join. But again who is left?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    They'll find riders for sure. There are hundreds of riders out there desperate to get a place on a Pro Tour squad. Whether they'll be up to supporting Contador in his quest for another Tour win is another matter.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    They'll find riders for sure. There are hundreds of riders out there desperate to get a place on a Pro Tour squad. Whether they'll be up to supporting Contador in his quest for another Tour win is another matter.

Simoni, perhaps? Italian management at Astana now...
  • I know a chicken who could provide good support in the mountains...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I know a chicken who could provide good support in the mountains...
    Presumably with a bucket of paint to daub some names on the tarmac, and maybe some flags to wave? Because there's no way ASO would let him ride.
  • Kléber wrote:
    I know a chicken who could provide good support in the mountains...
    Presumably with a bucket of paint to daub some names on the tarmac, and maybe some flags to wave? Because there's no way ASO would let him ride.

If Vino gets a ride, which seems possible, then so should the chicken.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Why aren't they signing Kashechkin? Has he fallen out with Vino? Do they blame each other for the blood mix up?
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:
    Why aren't they signing Kashechkin? Has he fallen out with Vino? Do they blame each other for the blood mix up?

Vino took of his BFF band and threw it in the bin a few years ago.

Not sure why though. I was going to suggest it was because of Kash's silly excuses but then I remebered "too much blood in my legs"
  • it was reported that they (vino and kash) avoided each other at the worlds.

surely even they aren't stupid enough to make public a falling out that stems from the cheating that they are denying? I assumed they fell out over something else whilst they had nothing better to do in the last couple of years!
  • it was reported that they (vino and kash) avoided each other at the worlds.

surely even they aren't stupid enough to make public a falling out that stems from the cheating that they are denying? I assumed they fell out over something else whilst they had nothing better to do in the last couple of years!

I read an interview with Vino where he suggested that Contador would not ride in the same team as Kash (don't know why?). Anyway the upshot is that to keep Contador sweet, Kash would not be signed.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    kickerbri wrote:
    I cant really see any rider wanting to sign for Astana in their current state. I guess a lot will depend upon the new backers and who is brought in on the management side as I would assume that if it’s a big name they may well be able to convince a number of riders to join. But again who is left?

I sort of disagree(imagine that). I doubt that there is a shortage of riders looking to ride for a Pro team. Maybe a lot of the name players are taken, but in any sport there are always
    young up and comers looking to break into the pro ranks and try to make a name for themselves.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the thing is we still don't know all the protour teams yet. The UCI haven't said if RadioShack or Astana will be getting a licence next year
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    sherer wrote:
    the thing is we still don't know all the protour teams yet. The UCI haven't said if RadioShack or Astana will be getting a licence next year

Astana already have a licence.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Pokerface wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Astana already have a licence.

that runs out this year, the UCI haven't said if they will renew it or not, I didn't think they were on the list of protour teams that were released the other week.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rumpf-s ... r-decision
  • iainf72
    sherer wrote:

that runs out this year, the UCI haven't said if they will renew it or not, I didn't think they were on the list of protour teams that were released the other week.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rumpf-s ... r-decision

They've got a licence up to the end of 2010. So they're not up for renewal but it could be revoked depending on circumstances
  • iainf72 wrote:

Just had a look at Astana on http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/transfers.asp

Looks like Fofonov, Gourov & Iglinskiy (minor) are the first new signings, with Bertie and his mates still 'probables', and some interesting Italians as possibles.