Isle of Man TT course

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
Hi there anyone cycled round the Isle of Man TT course how far difficult is it ect any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Here you go:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=23040

Not too difficult a ride; almost 38 miles with (according to bikehike) about 2500ft of climb. Only two climbs really: an easy one out of Ballacraine up to about mile 10, and then the big one up the Mountain (as you might expect). Been round on a motorbike quite a few times but not on a pushy. Well worth doing I'd say, but not in TT week!
  • volvine
    is it a tough climb up the mountain gradient? thanks
  • Difficult to say for sure - on a motorbike it's a doddle! I wouldn't call it easy though; as I remember from Ramsey Hairpin to the Guthrie Memorial (about 3 miles) is the steepest bit but it's steady. Don't think it gets much above 10% and probably averages 5 or 6%. After that it climbs much more gently until you get to the Veranda - best bit of the course IMO. Then it's a looong descent to the finish. Oh and Ramsey Hairpin's at about the 23 mile mark, so you'll be nicely warmed up when you get there.

I want to do it too now!
  • Not particularly difficult. If the wind is blowing into your face it can be a real slog coming off the mountain towards Douglas though.

Off the TT course there's a couple of slightly tougher climbs on the west side of Snaefell, the B10 and my favourite, the A14 up Sulby Glenn -- actually there's also a third one which is a forestry road that you reach from Ballaugh -- plus another nice testing ascent along the B22 along West Baldwin that begins at Union Mills (on the outskirts of Douglas).

They all go towards the middle of the island and so it's possible to do a multiple acsent of this area in a 'clover-leaf' route, starting and ending in Douglas.

There are also a couple of nice climbs down in the southwest corner of the island, between Peel and Port Erin.
  • volvine
    great thanks i will be having a trip over there next year to ride it just another ride to tick off the list :wink:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I remember this ride featured in the comic (link to story). Having been there to watch the TT I always thought it would make for a really good ride.

Distance is 37.73 miles. Wikipedia: Mountain course states the highest point is 422 metres.

I could lend you my 'On Bike TT' video if you want to see what it would be like riding with Hizzy at an average speed of 122mph. Lap record is now 17 mins 12 secs (over 131mph average).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Simon E wrote:
    I could lend you my 'On Bike TT' video if you want to see what it would be like riding with Hizzy at an average speed of 122mph. Lap record is now 17 mins 12 secs (over 131mph average).

That's what Youtube's for! Here's hirstute Lincolnshire lunatic Guy Martin knocking out a 130mph lap in 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI&feature=related. I am seriously thinking of visiting a friend on the IOM as an excuse to go and do this now; I guess under 2.5 hours would be a respectable time.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    nasahapley wrote:
    I guess under 2.5 hours would be a respectable time.
    There's only one way to find out :)

There is an island End-to-End MTB race in September, which was won this year by Nick Craig.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • volvine
    I notice in this months C+ the classic ride is a modified version sounds pretty tough