Aston Hill Vs Thetford forest

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited October 2009 in Routes
Just got my new Gary Fisher HKEK and fancy a day out this week, Aston Hill & Thetford forest are about an hour and a half away from me and I have never been to either. I usually go to Cannock.

Just after some opinions of people who have been to either of them, just got back from the Marin trail so i could do with somewhere with a fair balance of climb Vs fun!

Cheers.

Comments

• Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    There are no climbs at all over Thetford, so any fun is free i guess. I used t oride there a lot, it's ok if you've not been before. Don't go comparing it to N.Wales though or you'll be slightly disappointed.

Only been to Aston Hill once, many years ago when i first got into mtb. IIRC, one tough climb and some good descending. I'd say it's more dh oriented than xc though.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • If you live 1hr30m from Thetford do not waste your time going there, its boring; flat as a pancake and nothing fun at all, unless you enjoy flat XC lots just don't bother.
  • Hi there -you should really go to Aston Hill!!!

The new owners have done a huge amount of work to the existing trails (that the old owners left to turn to sh*t) and they're really looking great! A new DH trail opened up a few weeks ago too which I've not had a chance to ride yet.

The XC loop is kind of short - around than 6 miles I think - but really fun in a tech kind of way with plenty of switchbacks and some short lung-busting climbs (and roots, lots and lots of them).

The DH tracks(5 of them incl the XC DH trail) are great fun and also can be really challenging in the wet if you push it due to the chalk. You'll be fine on a HT but give the 4x track a miss at the moment - it needs some serious TLC.

The atmosphere is usually really friendly, and the nearby 'Cafe in the Woods' (next to the Wendover Woods car park) is pretty awesome, you can ride there in 5 minutes v easily too. There's no cafe on site so you''ll be lucky to get more than a mars bar at AH.

Hope this helps and have fun with your new bike!
    There are only 86400 seconds per day...

Tick Tock
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    Going to Cannock now but i will head down to Aston hill soon, it sounds quite fun.
  • According to the website half of the red route at Thetford is closed this week anyway. Aston Hill the way forward it seems!
  • jt_6_4
    jt_6_4 Posts: 39
    Do you know if the thetford red is partly closed this weekend? Website seems to be down.

I was going to ride the red tomorrow.
  • jt_6_4
    jt_6_4 Posts: 39
    I went to thetord on saturday in the end and saw a sign that said the east loop would be closed in the week throughout the winter I.e. It is open at the weekends.