Two bikes, one set of wheels

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I'm going to be building up a 456 in the next month or so, but I've got limited room in the shed and frankly don't want to spend more than I have to... So, I was thinking I'd use the wheels off the 5-Spot for the time being and switch back and forth...

Obviously I'd need to be careful of the extra wear on the cassette, but assuming I set both sets of brakes up the same, what's to stop it working?? Am I missing something fundamental or should it be ok... Wheels are a fairly generic Mavic on Hope hubs UST setup...

Comments

• seema fine to me.

Was considering doing the same.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm doing that just now, only I'm swapping the entire front end from frame to frame. Actually works surprisingly well. You might find the brakes give you a little hassle too, remember that pads bed in to the discs so if you're running 2 sets of pads on one disc, you may have to bed them in again from time to time. (I swap discs, since it takes no time and I had a spare)

Due to a lack of parts I'm also swapping the drivetrain- I leave the shifters behind but swap the cassette, chain and crankset. If I had a spare BB to leave in the frame of each bike this'd also be pretty fast, my SLX crank goes from one bike to the other in about 2 minutes but the BB takes slightly longer.

It's all a bit of a faff but it's cheaper than extra wheels ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Excellent... that's another few items I can cross off the shopping list...