My new/old bike

Steve-o41
Steve-o41 Posts: 19
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi there, i recently have bought a 1995 Kona Lavadome off my workmate and want to do a few upgrades to it myself. I am thinking about changing the front forks from ridgid to some suspension forks however this is where the problem begins i'm not sure what size the thread is and can i change my stem to an ahead stem and change the headseat ??
it's baffling me and i need some professional advice.

thanks

Steve-o

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can you see the type of thread and fork by observation? Should be obvious if is a quill stem or threadless stem.

The diameter of the steerer needs to be measured too.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I have seen Lava Dome's with sus forks & Aheadsets on www.retrobike.co.uk so it should be do-able.

Probably limited to quite short travel forks on that frame (maybe 80mm max)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • it has a Kona Race Light Velocity stem, i think it's quill stem but am not sure.

thanks for the info, much appreciated :o
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    I'm pretty sure that the '95 lava dome had a 1 1/8 headset. So you'll have more forks to choose from.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • thanks i will definately look into changing all of the front end on my bike.
    just wondering though, i have a very small budget to upgrade my bike £100
    what forks are best do you think????
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    £100 isn't enough for even a half decent set of forks, second hand maybe, but not brand new.

First off you need to find out what travel forks you can use on that frame.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg