UK Winter Riding! HELP!

albo
albo Posts: 260
edited October 2009 in Routes
Right, hard question to answer, but here it is...

A group of us are going to be going for a biking trip in the Winter, around Christmas time, And we are wondering where to go in the U.K...
Where is the Trail conditions best in the UK in Winter?
Where do you get the "least worse" weather in the UK?
Who has had experiences with bike trips in Winters?

Thanks,
Albo :)

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Doesn't really matter where you go.It'll be wet,just a bit colder than in June,but still wet :roll: If you want a chance of snow go to the highlands,still not guaranteed,but there's a chance.
    The trail conditions are pretty much the same throughout the year as its nearly always wet.
  • I usually do trail center holidays in the winter as they ride well in any weather. A lot of bridleways get really cut up in the bad weather.

North Wales around CYB or up to the 7 Stanes would be my choice.
  • Butters
    Butters Posts: 31
    It's pretty much going to be wet and cold wherever you go, but the south east is usually slightly better. However, the north of england has far better trails than the south.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    In the three years that I have been mountain biking, last winter was the dryest I have ever seen the North Wales trails :shock: It rains more in the summer than at any other time of year :roll:

Only problem last year was ice on some of the trails and frozen Camelbaks :D
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    ibbo68 wrote:
    If you want a chance of snow go to the highlands,still not guaranteed,but there's a chance.

Here's a couple of photos of a local trail at about 0800 some weekend morning last November:

The further up the trail we went, the heavier the snow got....... :D

CarbisdaleRun30thNov28.jpg

CarbisdaleRun30thNov10.jpg

CarbisdaleRun30thNov16.jpg
    It's been a while...
  • Who has had experiences with bike trips in Winters?

I live in Dumfries, 7Stanes central and the trails can be ridden 24/7/365 unless the snow is so deep you are unable to get to them which happens occasionally :!:

The trails in the Lakes are also pretty much rideable all year round although a bit more exposed in places
    http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Anywhere with limestone bedrock drains well - Yorkshire Dales and the White Peak are two good examples. The downside is that riding on wet limestone is like trying to run on freshly-buttered teflon.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic