Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Healthy beer!
    What will they think of next?!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I have nothing of value to add here but, Michelob Ultra is the worst tasting beer I've tried.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Not entirely on topic but I loved the Bud Dry advert in the States. They showed a queue for the toilet at a party and the guy drinking 'Bud Dry' not needing to go. I assume the Dryness was meant to imply you needed the toilet less. Complete madness.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There are very few cyclists who can link themselves to a product outside of cycling and probably no other who can reach out beyond their own country.

In Britain the likes of Chris Hoy are fading from the memory whilst Wiggins and Cavendish are almost unknown to the wider public. In Belgium Boonen can advertise anything but his appeal doesn't go too far beyond Flanders, just as Contador's name carries weight in Spain but no further.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I thought LA liked Shiner Bock? Guess Michelob's "healthier" (read: pays better).
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Presumably they're going for the "I can't drink; i'm training" market?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • teagar wrote:

I tend to invoke Peter van Petegem when ever I hear that lame excuse.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    teagar wrote:

I tend to invoke Peter van Petegem when ever I hear that lame excuse.

He had the beer to match though! Not so dans le states.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • True, true... and over indulgence on the duvel on friday night did wipe out my saturday ride...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Kléber wrote:
    There are very few cyclists who can link themselves to a product outside of cycling and probably no other who can reach out beyond their own country.

In Britain the likes of Chris Hoy are fading from the memory.

Rubbish ! I've taken-up eating Bran Flakes because of Sir Chris

(actually no, the advert makes me cringe...
    How humiliating for him...)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

In Britain the likes of Chris Hoy are fading from the memory.

Rubbish ! I've taken-up eating Bran Flakes because of Sir Chris

(actually no, the advert makes me cringe...
    How humiliating for him...)

Probably makes him cringe too, but still, he's gotta feed the kids somehow. You know what they say... gold for show, road for dough.

But then again, he could probably stick his gold medals in a jiffy bag and send them to Cash4Gold and earn more than Bran Flakes are giving him.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    guinea wrote:
    I have nothing of value to add here but, Michelob Ultra is the worst tasting beer I've tried.

I'll go along with that. Give me a beer with a least SOME taste. I have developed a liking for Stella as of late.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    dennisn wrote:
    guinea wrote:

I'll go along with that. Give me a beer with a least SOME taste. I have developed a liking for Stella as of late.

You need to be drinking real ale.. But i'm guessing there's no concept of that in the States?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The US has loads of good microbreweries, very trendy these days. And some of the best UK ales are made with American hops these days.

I wonder what it was about Armstrong that made ad executives pick him to represent a tasteless, bitter drink? :wink:
  • dennisn
    bikerZA wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    guinea wrote:

You need to be drinking real ale.. But i'm guessing there's no concept of that in the States?

Well, I wouldn't say that. It seems that there is a "micro brewery" on every corner these days and bunches of specialty ales, beers, and the like. I guess I'm just not that big a fan of "ale" although I do recall, in my younger days, drinking my fair share of something called Little Kings Cream Ale.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Appropriate the beer does taste like a contaminated sample ;)
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    The US has loads of good microbreweries, very trendy these days. And some of the best UK ales are made with American hops these days.

I wonder what it was about Armstrong that made ad executives pick him to represent a tasteless, bitter drink? :wink:

So called "Lite" beers are very popular here in the States. Most of them taste like sh*t
    as far as I'm concerned but that doesn't stop people from buying them. Most likely in the misguided belief that you won't get fat drinking them. And in a way they are SORT of advertised that way. I guess people kind of believe that sort of reasoning, or at least want to. Lite beer - good for you - healthy. That kind of thing. It's a real stretch but that's
    the way it's kind of presented.
    Alcoholics drink lite beer because you can drink lots of it(it is less filling).
    Anyway, that's my humble opinion.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Michelob Ultra is the 'official beer' of the Flora London Marathon and IIRC various triathlons & duathlons.

So it must be good, healthy stuff, ideal for athletes and champions, yes ?

- just like MacDonalds is the official burger of the Olympics :lol:
  • dennisn
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Michelob Ultra is the 'official beer' of the Flora London Marathon and IIRC various triathlons & duathlons.

So it must be good, healthy stuff, ideal for athletes and champions, yes ?

- just like MacDonalds is the official burger of the Olympics :lol:

I've come to the conclusion that no one is stupid enough to buy something that is "The Official This of That". It's only about getting your name splattered as many places as possible. Or, are there people that stupid? :? :?
  • Gives a whole new meaning to, taking the piss. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    Tandy and pishy American beer.Says it all for me really ...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    He won't stand a chance once Cancellara starts promoting Swiss power beer http://www.eichhof.ch/1/3/53/1915.asp

Its a kind of Redbull shandy, made with all natural ingredients, um nice.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    Kléber wrote:

In Britain the likes of Chris Hoy are fading from the memory

I feel like a bowl of cereal