Paris-Tours (spoiler)

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Decent quality feed here:

http://www.fromsport.com/video-91689.html

40 km to go.

10 men up the road, gap at 1:31.

Martin Elmiger, Cédric Pineau (AG2R La Mondiale), Mathieu Ladagnous (Française des Jeux), Damien Gaudin (Bbox Bouygues Telecom), Jean-Luc Delpech (Bretagne-Schuller), Jonathan Thiré (Auber 93), Mathew Hayman(Rabobank), Aart Vierhouten (Vacansoleil), Tom Veleers (Skil-Shimano) and Laszlo Bodrogi (Katusha).

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    It's Vierhouten's last race before retiring, so good to see he's leaving in style.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Greipel has abandoned!

Go Farrrrrarr, Go!
  • andyp
    The useless git. I rarely pick him in PTP because he's flaky, yet when I do he quits. Gah!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tusher wrote:
    Greipel has abandoned!

Hopeless high horse team

GO BOONEN!!!!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    I was going to pick Boonen, but he never sprints to the line, the lazy git. If he's not right up near the front he just doesn't bother and sits up... it's almost as if he has no idea that PTP points go all the way down to 10th place, but surely that can't be true.
  • afx237vi
    Boonen doesn't fancy a sprint, obviously. Either that or he thinks it's April.
  • afx237vi
    Boonen, Gilbert, Van Avermaet & Bozic away in a group of 4... crash in the peloton, 6 km left.
  • Tusher
    There's a very high chance that Boonen has no inkling of the day, month or year.

Quick Step dragged him out of a club in the wee hours, sewed him into his kit and threw him on a bike.
  • afx237vi
    Van Avermaet dropped... Pozzato trying to bridge. The shorts get worse each time I see him.
  • Tusher
    Of course, Boonen will probably win now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No he won't
  • andyp
    Gilbert played that to perfection. Classy ride.
  • afx237vi
    Tusher wrote:
    Of course, Boonen will probably win now.

Nope. Gilbert wins, then Boonen, then Bozic.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    No, he didn't. Great move by Gilbert - caught the other two napping well and truly.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Tusher
    A-ha.

The curse of Tusher.

Never fails.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    I was going to pick Boonen, but he never sprints to the line, the lazy git. If he's not right up near the front he just doesn't bother and sits up... it's almost as if he has no idea that PTP points go all the way down to 10th place, but surely that can't be true.

Aaaaaaaaand, there's Sammy Sanchez freewheeling across the line when he could have been sprinting for points. The swine.
  • Why didn't Boonen sit on Gilbert's wheel? He seemed to just follow the wrong guy!

(I appreciate it isn't easy to "Just sit on his wheel")
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    andyp wrote:
    Gilbert played that to perfection. Classy ride.

+1, that was good stuff from Gilbert.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Awesome!

Surprised Van Avermaet couldn't follow when Bozic could.
  • Nowhere near as good as yesterday's race.
    Still, nice to this this "sprinter's classic" all broken up.
    Boonan's own fault.
    All with no David Harmon. Is he still not on speaking terms with JC? :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    Who did the commentary for ES International then? I saw it was listed as live on the HD channel.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Who did the commentary for ES International then? I saw it was listed as live on the HD channel.
    A very reserved Carlton Kirby and this forum's very own contributor.....the other BS! :wink:
    No mention of where DH was, or the incident.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    A very reserved Carlton Kirby and this forum's very own contributor.....the other BS! :wink:

According to his Twitter he's doing something at the Cycle Show, so maybe that's the reason. Hope so, anyway.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    GILBERT

One of my favourite riders.

GILBERTWINS-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    A sprinter's race :wink:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    afx237vi wrote:

Yes he said DH had Throat problems - I'm just going to resist saying anything else. :roll:

A thouroughly enjoyable Finish and this time Tommy couldn't get past Phillipe like he did for the Belgian Jersey.
    No sign of Columbia anywhere.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Maybe if Boonen had tried sprinting in a straight line he could have won.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Ah gutted for Boonen. Looks like he had the best legs today - certainly lit the race up. Should have won.

Gilbert's timing was spot on though.

Shame!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Enjoyed the French commentary - perhaps being sidelined for a bit will stop Harmon being such a biased prat in his commentary sometimes. Not saying you shouldn't get excited about your favourite riders and all that but he's supposed to be a pro doing a pro job. Can't imagine he'd have done the same thing if Cuddles had been nowhere near the podium and somebody he didn't give a toss about had won.

Gilbert played Boonen perfectly - love that Ave Grammont finish
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I agree that Boonen went for the wrong wheel when Gilbert went left. Bozic got back on to Gilberts wheel and then his legs folded to leave Boonen stranded behind. If Bozic had the legs then he would've dragged Boonen up for Boonen to come round and take the win.
    If Boonen had got Gilberts wheel then Boonen should've won from there too.
    Good move by Gilbert going early and screwing up Boonen's Sprint. Clever stuff.
    Not so clever was Pozzato who had the legs but not the brains. If Boonen goes then he goes; simple. I know he's won the Italian Champs but otherwise a good rider without the big Palmares he should have.
    Next Saturday and it's all over. :cry:
    -Jy

I've sussed out how the photos work so...

l_97e09c5bba064f0d838597a1f0059d37.jpg

l_6b5b5bccc4404a29b4c3f6064c4bd762.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil