2010 cotic soul, poll added

Penylope
Penylope Posts: 320
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Mmmmmm :D
nice!

After much deliberation i've decided i want one of these as my next bike, but which colour :?:

Over to you guys, whatever wins in the poll results will be ordered........
MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
Other, Genesis Croix De Fer

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The BFe's nicer, especially seeing as how it's £50 cheaper than last years!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Sat on the new Soul at the Cycle show and had a good chat with Cy from Cotic.Though the new frame takes up to 140mm forks his own bike runs 100mm forks.
    Was all set on a black Soul but the orange looks fantastic.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, I'm a bit torn between chopping in my 08 model, or just sticking longer forks into it anyway. Seems like it's the Soul most people have been asking for though, the lack of 130mm forks these days has worked against it a bit I reckon (the old 08 Revelation fork could have been made for the Soul). Replacable dropout too, that's nice, though some people don't like them. Oh, and I don't like the new Soul logo...

Still, it's a Soul, it'll be ace ;) Should be exactly as good as the old one, only with a few more options. And £100 off the BFe too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Speaking to CY,at the Cycle Show,the geometry is completely unchanged ,its just that the extra beefing up means its now "officially warrantied" to take up to a 140mm fork.

Asking him what the riding differences would be between old and new,he says the new version feels a little more precise.

Only problem with forks, is that my preference has always been RS and now all the bargain Revelations I can see are 150mm........

120mm RS Reba Team Maxle lites would be ideal,but thats £500+

Cy says that his own Soul uses 100mm ,which is what it was originally designed for and that that with decent widish tyres it makes it brilliant on singletrack.

He reckons that long travel forks are only really necessary if you ride in really rocky areas.

If I were to go for it,I`d most likely swap the existing bits over from,my XTC,use my Rebas at 100mm or maybe take another spacer out to get 115mm.

Just can`t decide which way to go,at the moment.Seen some nice deals on a Giant Trance X at Pauls,but still love hardtails,so the Soul is very tempting.

I have now at least sat on one,but wish there was somewhere in the SE where I could actually try one.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Northwind
    I only use the longer travel on mine to slack it out a bit, I'd be perfectly happy with 100mm of travel but not with the head angle you get with the short fork, except for classic XC stuff.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Now with replaceable mech hanger too (probably my only "complaint" on the pre-2010 models).

I do like that orange though, and the CX bike.
    Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All revs have a 140mm option.
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I'm actually saving for a Soul at the moment to replace my frame, i mainly ride trails & singletrack, and have 100mm reba's, which i plan to take the spacer out of to make it 120mm.

Although i love the blue on the new BFe too, which is making it a hard choice!
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    updated 1st post with poll. :P
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    edited October 2009
    Go for orange,it's awsome, seems to be a bit of a love it or hate it colour from experience though, & colour coding stuff is tricky if your into that.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i love the orange, but.... i have to say the black looks fantastic! just look at big benges cotic soul, now there is a handsome bike!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    +1 for Orange

140mm would make that very slow handling and slack I think (my Evil is 71 deg at 100mm, 1 deg sharper than the Soul and feels far too slack at 140 unless I'm pointing down an Alp / somewhere else where I need the extra confidence).
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i wonder what the HA is on my aggressor, its 140mm and is pretty steep i think, its not mega steep, but its steeper than my hardrock runing 120mm. i love the feel of it, but i don think its very slack at all, i would like to compare the cotic and my bike, as i always think oif the cotic as a "harder" bike, but it would be interesting to compare the angles.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thinking about forks for a Soul.the new 2010 Revelations Airs would be ideal were they not so long.140mm would be a bit overkill for my type of riding.Can the new ones be reduced?

Air u turns are nice but expensive....

If I get one,I was thinking 120mm Reba Team Maxle lites would be the ideal,if a bit pricey.
    Cotic sell them with the option of 130mm Magura Menjas.
    Anyone here ride a Soul with Menjas?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Like the orange, but prefer the black 8)

Both very nice though.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    nah the bfe is the best lookng there, after i get the evil i may build one up as a thrash bike
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Oooh, it's a tough choice, orange bling or classic black. They both look great, but go for the one you like best, you'll be riding it :lol: But that orange does look hot.

Run mine with an old pair of Manitou Minutes (all black) and love the ride, but would love to try a longer fork, especially in the Alps.

I agree with Northwind, I'm not keen on the new 'Soul' logo though, but thats me being picky.

Loving the Bfe, damn and blast I want that bike and loving the blue :(
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Voted Orange although I'm now saving for the new 14" BFe which I'll be running on 100mm floats as a 4X/play bike!

Can't wait! New frames ship January according to Paul at Cotic...
  • Voted Black, cos that's what I got. But I'll have the CX bike in Orange. And the Hemlock in White with orange decals.

Run my Soul with 100mm Menjas. Not sure 130mm would gain me much on the trails around here. Need the Menjas pumped up on the firm side (ie the high end of the recommended pressure for your weight). Maybe 130's are less likely to bottom out?
    Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • Northwind
    140mm would make that very slow handling and slack I think (my Evil is 71 deg at 100mm, 1 deg sharper than the Soul and feels far too slack at 140 unless I'm pointing down an Alp / somewhere else where I need the extra confidence).

Nah, I've just put a 110-140mm revelation in mine and given it a few testrides, it's a little slower to react and not as good on the climbs at 140mm than it was at 130mm but not so much as to be a real problem. Feels ever so slightly more stable at speed. It's just a little nicer when pointed downwards than it wasa t 130mm, feels a bit more composed on steep stuff, though it's not a massive difference either way. Probably depends a lot on your overall setup mind, I run a short-ish stem and wide-ish bars and it seems to work nicely.

I'd say it's possibly not quite as good overall with 140mm in the front, but it does help a little when it gets silly. Height adjustable forks give you the best of all worlds of course, 100-120-140mm TALAS or 09-spec air revs or similiar.

Just don't tell the gods of frame failure or it'll break in half :lol: I'm hoping that my ludicrously skinny body and general cowardliness should compensate for the extra stress on the frame :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist