Afan Tyyre Choice

Richard85
Richard85 Posts: 20
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi Guys after a little advice...

I'm off to Afan on Monday for a couple of days. The thing is I'm not sure what rubber would be best suited. I have the choice of Nobbly Nicks 2.25's or Race Kings Protection 2.2's. I suppose its been pretty wet over there lately.

Thanks

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Richard85 wrote:
    Hi Guys after a little advice...

I'm off to Afan on Monday for a couple of days. The thing is I'm not sure what rubber would be best suited. I have the choice of Nobbly Nicks 2.25's or Race Kings Protection 2.2's. I suppose its been pretty wet over there lately.

Thanks

Afan tends to drain really well

I ran High rollers front and rear when i went ... never missed a heart beat ! I would imagine the nobbly nics would be better over the rocks etc !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • paulscutt
    paulscutt Posts: 332
    Afan/Glyncorrwg do drain pretty well anyway - and as i type this its blue skies and sunshine(I live a few mins away) - has been fine the past 3-4days so the trails will be PERFECT - not dry and dusty nor muddy! :) happy riding fella!
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    The Nobby Nics might be the best shout, as they're probably going to be a bit more resistant to the rocks. I've blasted round Whites Level in the pouring rain on 2.1 Racing Ralphs and they were fine (bar one pinch flat), as above - Afan drains really well and there's loads of grip.

I'm heading over on Monday too, so hoping for some nice weather! :D
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    you dont really need big deep tread patterns for afan as its not very muddy, its more wet and slippy with hardly any deep mud, therefore i think a soft compound works bestasa it grips on the rocks & routes better

i may go tomoro aswell, not decided yet
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • paulscutt
    paulscutt Posts: 332
    been raining on and off today but brightening up now - still should be good conditions
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The Nobby Nics might be the best shout, as they're probably going to be a bit more resistant to the rocks.

If it's resilliance you need, the Conti Protections are a tough tire! I thought the consensus was that standard RRs and NNs are pretty fragile?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs