north west lakes riding

busta gonad
busta gonad Posts: 162
edited October 2009 in Routes
Anyone have any experiences of riding Red Pike above Buttermere it sounds hienous, so not sure whether it is good ...old school gnarly fun, or just epic pain..any thoughts. plus which way is best by the pass or by the tarn.
While i'm here whats the best way up and down grisedale pike, looking forward to your sage advice.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Not getting involved because I talk sh!t.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • your sage advice

Go somewhere else. And I ain't ever going to put my name down for either of those; I have a wife and two cats who need me.
    Frank Yates
  • Thats what i thought, these are local trails for local people...help a poor ignorant tourist out, you never know we might meet one day and i might complement you on your "crazy" bike handling skills! :lol:
  • You've got it wrong boyo. These are not local trails for local people, but brutal trails that local people generally avoid. Dave Hill will help with a route over the footpaths in that area, but if you are intending to ride the High Stile ridge then you have been warned. Hike a bike doesn't come into it. OK it might be a bridleway, but that means diddly sqwat. Going up the Red Pike end is a scramble for a fell walker; and they can use both hands. Once on the ridge the going between the three summits - Red Pike, High Stile and High Crag is quite good. But you have to get up, there. Think of the worst climb you've ever done and muliply that by itself. Then you'll have an idea of what it's like. Then you've got to get down again. It makes little difference which way you go. Are you thinking of going at this time of year? A half term jolly perhaps? Remember the weather on the summits will bear no relation to that in the valley bottoms. On the ridge there is no shelter from the wind until you get to New York. Yes you might drop lucky and get a good day, but don't bank on it. Don't forget the temperature difference at nearly 3000' can mean that the tops are nearly freezing, whilst wifey and kids are sunbathing.

If you still want to go I'll happily draw you a route, but I won't be coming with you.
    Frank Yates
  • Cheers for that, just fishing for ideas...will probably wait till next spring..was really wondering if there was actually any good riding up there, super technical a brucy bonus ...but just dragging the bike round no thanks, i read an online trip report to up there, sounded epic ..made it clear the climb was a nightmare but unclear as to whether the ridge and descent were any fun at all, i come from a climbing background so the steeps don't scare the beejesus out of me...thanks again for the reply
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Just thought i'd add the best way up and down Grisedale Pike is on foot.There are no BWs on the pike,unfortunately.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Cheers for that, just fishing for ideas...will probably wait till next spring..was really wondering if there was actually any good riding up there, super technical a brucy bonus ...but just dragging the bike round no thanks, i read an online trip report to up there, sounded epic ..made it clear the climb was a nightmare but unclear as to whether the ridge and descent were any fun at all, i come from a climbing background so the steeps don't scare the beejesus out of me...thanks again for the reply

You have PM fella, I'm not getting into another slanging match.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Will you be walking this route, John?
    Frank Yates