Q for our HQR2 DVR users

DanielCoffey
DanielCoffey Posts: 142
edited October 2009 in The workshop
I have two questions about the HQR2 DVR as sold by DogCam Sports. One is a general question and the other is for our Mac users.

1. Large files being split?

Have you noticed large files being split at around the 2Gb point? I recorded a long trip last week and it got split into two files on the card. No part of the journey was missing. I assume this is normal behaviour imposed by the Linux OS on the HQR2 but would like confirmation from other users (my card is 16Gb in capacity).

PAL, MPEG4, SPORTS MODE, SP quality
DVR_000.avi 2.15Gb 0h52m21s
DVR_001.avi 396Mb 0h09m36s

2. This is the Mac-specific question. Quicktime MPEG4 compatibility?

When I record a short (a couple of minutes) segment as MPEG4 then import the file to my iMac (Snow Leopard), it is fine. The icon picks up the first frame as a thumbnail. The movie opens and plays perfectly. Whenever I record a longer segment, however, Quicktime stops recognising the file as a movie and instead only plays the audio portion of the file. The icon also only shows the default Quicktime icon.

VLC Media Player (listed as the preferred player on the DogCam site) plays the file perfectly all the way through with both video and audio with no complaints, but Quicktime no longer recognises the longer files as valid video.

This means I also cannot import the file into iMovie '08 to cut out the boring bits and highlight the "look at this idiot!" pieces.

Am I missing a codec or is there something about the HQR2 that is not truly MPEG4 compliant?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

Comments

• I got the following reply from Andrew of BikeCameras.com concerning my two issues above...
    Hi Daniel

Please find latest reply back fromthe team:-

That's normal, the unit has a 2gb file size limit. Then it starts making a new file. All digital recorders will do this.

Macs will have a problem sometimes playing large mpeg4 files. If this is the case, then install perian for free from www.perian.org and it should help out with any mac issues.

The only issue I still have is iMovie 08 does not recognise the files as valid MPEG4 movies but I will probably be able to find an alternative tool to edit the movies somewhere. Any recommendations for the Mac users?
  • Aha - it is not the fault of the HQR2 that the files won't go into iMovie. They are AVI which is not supported by iMovie at all so need to be converted to something else first.

The VLC Player which Dogcam Sport recommend as the preferred player has a Converter Wizard (Transcode) tool to allow you to easily save AVI as anything else. The suggested one is MP4.