New to Mountain biking

DNMGreen
DNMGreen Posts: 4
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
I am 40 years old, have slipped 2 discs in my lower back and wanted a full suspension bike because of this. I have just been given a Cannondale Rush 5 with Fox fork (not Lefty) in mint condition (never been used by a friend of mine who no longer wanted it taking up space in his garage. It was bought last year and has been under cover since then!!!
I know this bike is a full suspension bike and was wondering if it is too much bike for me as I usually ride on roads and my current bike is an old Kona Hahanna (very old bike). I want to experience off road (no jumps just trials) but want to make sure this bike will perform and be acceptable for me. I am also consious of the cost of the bike and have just invested £175 in a D lock from Evans at a level 25 rating!!!

Any advice regarding the above will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Should be OK for you. If you're asking if it's too much travel, then no, it's an XC amount of travel these days. If you mean is it too good, no bike is too good. Enjoy it! One bit of advice is that many people sit down way too much on full sus bikes because it's more comfortable, but this makes off road a lot more sketchy any time there's any technical bits. The softer ride will be a lot easier on the back.
  • £175 for a d lock you gotta be shitting me
  • adiggers wrote:
    £175 for a d lock you gotta be ******** me

Yeh, I did wonder. I guess you can pay almost anything for almost everything these days...
    ...makes me sound old.

I thought £50 or £60 that I paid was a lot.

For £175 they should buy you 2 bikes if it gets nicked!

But, if it could be proved to be indestructible and you only have to buy it once, then maybe it's worth it. There's a make of motorbike chain lock (can't remember the name) that has a vid on the site showing why theirs are better than the others - seems convincing when the other look like cheese in comparison...
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    I think you have been ripped off with the lock!!!!!Get a refund!! The bike you have been given is meant for off roading,if you ride on the road,don't bother!! Get offroading,you will never look back!!!!!
  • I wanted a good lock for the bike due to the value so the cost was minimal when considering the cost of a replacement bike due to an inferior lock (that was my thinking when making my purchase).
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    A decent bike & lock cost you £175, I'd be happy with that.

Ok it was probably a bit expensive for the lock, but meh, I spent the best part of £80 (trade) on a lock to keep a bike locked up in my house. If it keeps your bike safe it's done it's job & the cost doesn't really matter compared to the price of a new bike (unless any other of your mates have any more unused bikes lurking in garages...)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Great bike to be "given". lucky you. The lock should make it sooooooo much cheaper to insure.

Enjoy the riding be it on roads or as you now have a great bike off road. your back will let you know if what your doing is too much. guessing on that bit.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Just took the bike to Evans in Croydon (i cannot promote them enough) and had the bike given the once over. It passed with flying colours but will need a small service in a couple of months to check the disc brakes as they are rubbing a little. I checked with my friend who gave me the bike and he told me that it was like that when he purchased it so gave it little attention.
    I am now in Paris France and will be looking to take it to the local 'forest' at Saint Germaine En laye where everyone who rides a bike goes to teszt their skills on the off road trials. This is going to be my first outing anywhere like this.... fingers crossed that I come home in 1 piece!
  • Awesome! Have a great day.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    DNMGreen wrote:
    Just took the bike to Evans in Croydon (i cannot promote them enough) and had the bike given the once over. It passed with flying colours but will need a small service in a couple of months to check the disc brakes as they are rubbing a little.

Unless the disc rotors are bent, the calipers probably just need re-aligning which is VERY easy to do at home, don't pay for someone else to do it mate. Personally I wouldn't bother with the "small service" at all because it will only be very minor tweaks. It's a good idea to learn to do those things yourself anyway.

http://www.parktool.com/

Enjoy the ride! :D