Sleeping in a Van

berliner
berliner Posts: 340
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
I've done the bike touring a with tent and also fly drive experience etc but next summe I''m thinking of getting a Transit size van.
Firstly I can use it for some bukiding work and secondly I can take 2 bikes on holiday with more comfort than camping.
Some say vans are cold to sleep in because of condensation problems etc. I also would have an issue with pounding rain in the middle of the night. Is there a simple way of being warm (venting) and minmising the noise of the rain.

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Rain hammering is easy to stop - just put a tarp over the roof at night and an old rug under to damp the sound. Leave a window slightly open at night for ventilation or get a circular vent installed.

Recently saw 2 guys in a large Transit with hammocks installed - now that was a good Idea!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Our cycle touring is now done with the aid of a Ford Transit based camper. Obviously it's more comfortable than a basic van (bathroom, fridge and cooker) but the rain noise is probably similar; we don't really notice it.

I can't see the van as being any colder than a tent so I would think you'd be fine with the same stuff you used for camping - including the Karrimat/Thermarest underneath. Leave a window open a crack for ventilation. You could also try lining the sides with polystyrene or similar if you felt like taking the trouble.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • roryboy
    roryboy Posts: 44
    yep: way to go !! I have a VW transporter which is used for work but at the weekend
    the tools are out and the bike and the hill gear goes in.
    Karrimat Thermarest and the fact that the van is fully carpeted makes for a cosy night in.
    Window open slightly allows enough air to circulate. One thing i would advise is to keep organiised nothing worse than getting up in the morning to everything spread everywhere. something quite peacefiul about the rain battering off the roof as i'd rather be in the van than in my tent in this situation.
    You'll enjoy it im sure and you wont look back. I still love using the tent but the van is the business in the colder months. Enjoy.
  • Used to use my Transit van when going away with the Horses over night. As said above re window works well. Carpet on floor and Fibre board sheets on sides helped insulate a litle.
    +100 on keeping it organised :D many a weekend I let thigs slip and would be panicing on the snday when I not able to find clean gear or small but important pieces of equipment
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • berliner
    Do camp sites allow entrance to people sleeping in vans. Might sound daft but the times I've camped in France I can't remember seeing van campers. That also applies to the UK.
    I hope to spend some weekends away in the UK and maybe 2 weeks in France with my fancy raod bike and general hybrid.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    We have van. It is colder than tent (more air space to heat + metal box is quite good at moving heat away from you) - but then you have a van - you can take 3 duvets if you want. Somethime we take the tent, somethime we don't.

You can insulate them - there's like a million topics over on the T4 forums re van conversions and insulation.

Ours is pretty basicly done out (see here) - but it's great for multisport holidays.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Put a cheap gazebo over the back-end of the van to take the rain, then you can use it as a shelter when you get back & wash/change/fettle/cook....
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Do camp sites allow entrance to people sleeping in vans.
    You don't really need a campsite with a van, do you? I'm thinking along the same lines but I have a mondeo estate car. Bike attached/locked to the roof and loads of comfy insulated space inside. Rain pattering on the roof sounds really cozy.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    me and a few mates have a van which we got for motocross but also bike/camp in. We put loft isulation (the yellow roll stuff) behind the ply lining and then carpeted the sides and roof, keeps it much warmer and condensation doesnt form so easily on the carpet...
  • berliner
    Sounds very romantic bigjim but I like a bit of running water- not just the sort that drips off the roof. I also enjoy being in a verticle position when putting my knickers on in the morning without the stares of French farmers through the glass.
    I do worry about the Albanians gassing me whilst I sleep and stealing my groupsets, but I've slept in a tent with a piece of Roquefort stuck to the bottom of the sleeping bag so I guess I'll survive.
    Love the picture of your van LittleB0b- room enough for 3 perhaps??
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I also enjoy being in a verticle position when putting my knickers on in the morning without the stares of French farmers through the glass.
    I've yet to meet a lady that can't wriggle into a pair of knickers between the sheets and my estate car will of course be equipped with curtains. You can always stand up with your top half through the sunroof. Now that will confuse those leering French farmers. :)
  • berliner
    How dare you Bigjim- I'm a MAN. Just because I choose to wear a "Je Ne Sais Quoi' Noir Silk Thong" whilst camping doesn't mean I'm one of the fairer sex.
  • rofl you got PUNK'D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.