Taking my full-sus on a Velodrome

missmarple
missmarple Posts: 1,980
edited October 2009 in MTB general
This shall be interesting, riding deep in a pack of "roadies". I'll report back later with my findings. Anyone ever been on a Velodrome before?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    should be fun!
    Make sure you fit a bigger chainring if you want to keep up. On, and remember, they don't have brakes, they're on fixies. So, if there's an accident, make sure you get out of their way before coming to a complete stop with your mighty disc brakes, or they'll all pile into the back of you!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd love to that! I'd try and wheelie round for a lap.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Wouldn't of thought they'd let you ride it on there. Would be more fun on a normal track bike.
  • missmarple
    Well as it happens I didn't get a chance to ride there, I had a pinch puncture in Lewisham* so had to divert to the nearest bike shop (Deans Garage) to get it fixed properly, now I've ended up with a Micro Inflate 2 x Canister kit which looks awesome! Shame I didn't get the chance to go to the Velodrome - perhaps it was not meant to be.

Here was where I was heading if anyone is interested: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/

*Surprised I didn't get shot, shanked or stabbed!
  • I was wanting to go there, but I am sure the membership costs quite a bit..... especially since there is no prices stated on the site...
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • supersonic
    Riding around in cicrles, the joy!

Some big roundabouts in sheffield, should be more fun!
  • missmarple
    supersonic wrote:

I'm a coach/helper for the local Go-Ride and we were helping them at the Velodrome today, teaching 8-14 year olds bike control, its voluntary - have a bit more respect.
  • supersonic
    edited October 2009
    Have a bit more of a sense of humour!
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    supersonic wrote:

:lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • missmarple
    supersonic wrote:
    Have a bit more of a sense of humour!

I'll have a better sense of humour when you MTFU. :wink:
  • supersonic
    Lol, you see, I took that in good spirit! There are other things you don't know - viruses really knock me back!
  • stevet1992
    Ladies ladies ... put those handbags down :lol:

Some of the crashes you see on TV :shock: i wouldnt even walk past a velodrome due to the risk of flying cyclists !

• stevet1992
    supersonic wrote:
    The domino effect!

Yep Feck that !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5yA3TYnWY

I would imagine a road tyre at speed would make a right pigs arse out of your face/arm/torso !

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited October 2009
    You can mock, like, but I had one go on the velodrome and I'm never going back, it was an evil combination of terrifying and absolutely knackering, never done anything quite like it. Imagine riding your XC bike absolutely balls out, flat out... On a big sheet of glass. With no brakes, and you can't stop pedalling, ever, or you'll be instantly killed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stevet1992
    Northwind wrote:
    You can mock, like, but I had one go on the velodrome and I'm never going back, it was an evil combination of terrifying and absolutely knackering, never done anything quite like it. Imagine riding your XC bike absolutely balls out, flat out... On a big sheet of glass.

Ive got an urge to try it... just doubt ill be leaving in anything other then the back of an ambulance !

• missmarple
    stevet1992 wrote:
    Ladies ladies ... put those handbags down :lol:

More like my walking stick with a spike fastened to the end. :twisted:
  • stevet1992
    So how on earth do you stop on a fixie at a velodrome ? Surely they dont lock the back wheel up by stopping pedalling ? And surely they cant slow down pedalling due to the lack of a freehub ?:lol:

• rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    stevet1992 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    The domino effect!

Yep Feck that !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5yA3TYnWY

I would imagine a road tyre at speed would make a right pigs ars* out of your face/arm/torso !

when you leave the ground spinning from the waist, you know your in trouble!! :shock: :lol::lol:

...like the couch racing dudes.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    stevet1992 wrote:
    So how on earth do you stop on a fixie at a velodrome ? Surely they dont lock the back wheel up by stopping pedalling ? And surely they cant slow down pedalling due to the lack of a freehub ?:lol:
    erm, you pedal slower! :lol:
    fixie means your cranks have to rotate at the same speed as the back wheel, so you can;t freewheel. What you CAN do, however, is use your leg muscles to slow the bike down.
  • I'm tempted to give that a shot, unfortunatley we do not have a velodrome on the Isle of Wight. Nearest one i believe is in gosport :(. I too would be doing it on my trust full sus but i would try and get some 2.35 slick road tyres :twisted: .

Was my language ok in that post?
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 wrote:
    erm, you pedal slower! :lol:
    fixie means your cranks have to rotate at the same speed as the back wheel, so you can;t freewheel. What you CAN do, however, is use your leg muscles to slow the bike down.

Ahh it all makes sense now ... Thanks :oops:

Fourcrossjohn : I highly doubt you will be able to ride a MTB on a public velodrome ... Missmarple volunteers and the company that does it closes the Velodrome for 2 hours so no one but the group can use it !

• Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    missmarple wrote:
    Well as it happens I didn't get a chance to ride there, I had a pinch puncture in Lewisham* so had to divert to the nearest bike shop (Deans Garage)

Deans garage is in Beckenham isn't it, you must have had quite a walk from Lewisham!!
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    a velodrome? in Gosport? i live here, must check this out!! im sure my enduro will cain the local roady people!!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • missmarple
    Noclue wrote:
    missmarple wrote:
    Well as it happens I didn't get a chance to ride there, I had a pinch puncture in Lewisham* so had to divert to the nearest bike shop (Deans Garage)

Deans garage is in Beckenham isn't it, you must have had quite a walk from Lewisham!!

Managed to seal the puncture temporarily but the tyre was struggling at 20PSI, just freewheeled and pedalled slowly to Beckenham, made it into Deans Garage without any major concerns. Then had them repair it. :)
  • missmarple: thank you for the threat of breaking my arms if i dont write correctly :S
  • stevet1992
    missmarple: thank you for the threat of breaking my arms if i dont write correctly :S

Right thats it, im breaking your arms due to inproper creating of an emoticon ... :P :lol:

• missmarple
    stevet1992 wrote:
    missmarple: thank you for the threat of breaking my arms if i dont write correctly :S

Right thats it, im breaking your arms due to inproper creating of an emoticon ... :P :lol:

You do realise thats in every signature smartass? Gordon Bennet!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    supersonic wrote:

race you around park square roundabout!! RLJ-ing allowed!