Whyte 46 / Shimano Dura-Ace / 29er Winter Project

john_kattenhorn
john_kattenhorn Posts: 5
edited October 2009 in MTB general
With the risk of getting flamed i thought i'd ask people thoughts on the following;

I have a rather battered looking Whyte 46 which i want to re-build during the winter; it's not my main MTB now and i commute 40 miles everyday on a road bike so i thought about building something 'cool' just for riding on the street really with my kids.

So outline plan is:

Frame repaired/blasted and painted (any ideas on design / can you get the decals still ?)

Hubs rebuilt onto 29" rims (Tubeless if possible ?)

Dura-Ace drivetrain (54T/42T) with older 9-speed Dura-Ace rear. (Can this be achieved, looking into clearance and BB width but anyone does this before).

Rebuilt Maverick's and Fox shock.

More ... stuff as we go along.

Any opinions ideas would be greatly recieved.

Thanks.

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    With the risk of getting flamed i thought i'd ask people thoughts on the following;

I have a rather battered looking Whyte 46 which i want to re-build during the winter; it's not my main MTB now and i commute 40 miles everyday on a road bike so i thought about building something 'cool' just for riding on the street really with my kids.

So outline plan is:

Frame repaired/blasted and painted (any ideas on design / can you get the decals still ?)

Hubs rebuilt onto 29" rims (Tubeless if possible ?)

Dura-Ace drivetrain (54T/42T) with older 9-speed Dura-Ace rear. (Can this be achieved, looking into clearance and BB width but anyone does this before).

Rebuilt Maverick's and Fox shock.

More ... stuff as we go along.

Any opinions ideas would be greatly recieved.

Thanks.

Umm isnt the Whyte 46 a 26 inch MTB ? Can you even put 29" rims on a MTB designed for 26" ?
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can put 700c rims on, as the much narrower and shallower tyres allow clearance.
  • stevet1992
    supersonic wrote:
    You can put 700c rims on, as the much narrower and shallower tyres allow clearance.

Ah right i automatically assumed he meant 29" MTB rims :oops:

• Hi,

I did mean MTB wheels; i've checked with Maverick and the forks are compatible with 26 or 29; it just changes the amount of travel which the fork is allowed to go through :D

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Dura Ace / Road drive chain on the Whyte; what are the sorts of thing i should be measuring / considering.

Thanks again for your help.

John
  • stevet1992
    Yes but the back end might cause a problem with a 29" wheel !

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what dura-ace parts?

very few bits will fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mostly i was looking to run the chainset i.e. Front Chain Wheel, and Gear Derailers etc.

Thanks

John
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    stevet1992 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Ah right i automatically assumed he meant 29" MTB rims :oops:

They are the same thing!
  • nicklouse
    Mostly i was looking to run the chainset i.e. Front Chain Wheel, and Gear Derailers etc.

Thanks

John

crankset is unlikely to fit due to the with of the rear stays on an MTB.

all you are likely to be able to fit are the cassette and the rear mech.

What is it that you are really wanting to do?

make it more road friendly then fit bigger rings to your current crankset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Too be honest it's mostly for look although i'd prefer to gear it knowing that it's only staying on the street now.

I've seen a few MTB with road groupset's on them and it looks kinda trick. Now i've had it apart the only problem i can see is the clearange for the front derailer which i think i can get away with if i fit a road nad on and machine and fillet out a bit of the swingarm.

29" rear wheel does look tight though, what's current situation with tyres at 29" in terms of of tyre wall height; can you vary them like on a mototrcycle or car ?

Thanks for any tips; frame and swing arm are away for blasting and repair now ... so i what to do any modification soon in order to get it painted.

Thanks

John
  • nicklouse
    i can see is the clearange for the front derailer

which front mech? and what shifters do you plan on using to move it?

and the cranks set?