David Clinger

csp
csp Posts: 777
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Sorry, if this is no news to you, I've never seen him before.

2394726454_3585c85f3a.jpgClingertattooRC3408-097.jpg

Comments

• Low self-esteem issues?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    i think he is hoping to get on the next Muppet Show
    www.dotcycling.com
  • rofl i just had a coughing/laughing fit.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Sad. Pathetic.Mid-(End) Career Crisis.

Face paints are for toddlers and rugby fans only.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Used to ride for Festina:
    clinger2.jpg
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    Thats why he rides for R&R
  • Complete idiot :?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    [sarcasm]he is not going to regret doing that[/sarcasm]
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    That's upto him if he wants to tattoo his face. But I can't help feeling that in a few years time it's going to be a laser job.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's getting it removed. But the removal probably costs more than his annual salary.

Yes he looks like a Maori gangster
    maori_gang.jpg
    ...but the poor guy doesn't need to be laughed at.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Please tell me he's not actually tatooed his face?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tusher wrote:
    Please tell me he's not actually tatooed his face?

What did you think it was, felt-tip pen? :lol:

He went somewhere in Polynesia and had some kind of spiritual epiphany, so decided to have his face tattooed. Whatever floats your boat.

He then went to back to America and his team (Webcor) flipped out, which is ironic really, because the whole point of a team sponsor is to attract publicity, and Clinger gave them just that.

But like Kléber said, last I heard he was paying to get them removed.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Someone should suggest to Chad Gerlach that he get his face done too, just to see if he would.

Maybe Lance questioned David Clinger's commitment, and told him that if he got his face tatooed he might consider him to be a *real* rider.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Interesting article here:

http://velonews.com/article/99132/updat ... is-tattoos

Hopefully both he and Chad Gerlach can find some peace and stability in their lives.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Americans are nuts
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Strangely I heard about him for the first time today as well. As has been said, he's in the process of getting the tats removed, apparently it will take up to a year.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    I raced against him in 1995 when he came to Ireland to race the junior tour of ireland as part of a three man LA Sherrifs-Chervolet junior team. (I think Malcom Elliot raced on that squad some years back while he did his stint in the US). The same race contained non other than david millar and charlie weglius riding on the GB team. Anyway, Clinger was a very nice guy. He may have gone a bit nuts. (probably as a result of racing with Festina and USPS squad in the good oul days of 97 - 2000!)
  • I seem to remember Procycling tried to interview him for the Mavericks issue... Only to be told he wanted $10,000 for a brief panel piece.

"Only if you type it in yourself, mate" was the resopnse.

He was mint in Pro Cycling Manager 06 as well. A constant "Dark Horse" in the classics.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    intothe12 wrote:
    I raced against him in 1995 when he came to Ireland to race the junior tour of ireland as part of a three man LA Sherrifs-Chervolet junior team. (I think Malcom Elliot raced on that squad some years back while he did his stint in the US). The same race contained non other than david millar and charlie weglius riding on the GB team. Anyway, Clinger was a very nice guy. He may have gone a bit nuts. (probably as a result of racing with Festina and USPS squad in the good oul days of 97 - 2000!)

off topic, but remember the JT that year well, i was the team mechanic for one of the irish provincial teams (Ulster), one of our riders won the final stage. I was only a junior myself at the time and was well chuffed to be asked to go to the JT as part of the Ulster team...only to find out i wouldn't be riding!! :lol:

Also remember the GB team manger going nuts in the hotel the night before the final stage when he caught us all in the lobby bar, millar was in good tune from what i remember...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,238
    It's going to take major work to remove all that from his face - dread to think of the cost!
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    I think I remember that the team GB car got fairly beaten up and vandalised on the last night. Millar won two stages and wedgilus also won a stage.