Bike shops around Canary Wharf area?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Apart from evans that is.

According to the interweb there's places called cycle doctor and wharf cycles but details and location seem to vary between websites.

Has anyone been to them and can confirm what's where?

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    pastryboy wrote:
    Apart from evans that is.

According to the interweb there's places called cycle doctor and wharf cycles but details and location seem to vary between websites.

Has anyone been to them and can confirm what's where?

There's nothing here but Evans.....

Cycle doctor is a travelling bike fixer guy in a van , no idea where Wharf cycles is.

The Evans' isn't bad though - not LBS but you don't LIVE there do you?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    No, just seeing if there's anywhere else to go during lunchtimes.

This website makes cycledoctor sound like a store:

http://www.cycledoctor.co.uk/

Wharf cycles is listed as being on westferry road but I took a stroll around that area the other week and didn't see anything.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    pastryboy wrote:
    Wharf cycles is listed as being on westferry road but I took a stroll around that area the other week and didn't see anything.

Best thing to see in Canary Wharf is the Cable St Bike Path heading West.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cycledoctor seem to be an almost company. They give an address on their ''work in progress'' website - Cannon Drive, E14 4AS, which is to the East of Westferry Road, but their blog hasn't been updated since November 2008.

If you're on a bike at lunchtime, there's a new bike shop just over - though it is best to go under - the river, in Greenwich-in-Deptford* called cyclesuk.com. 12 mins max.

*Greenwich-in-Deptford as in ''we aspire to live in Greenwich and got pretty close so let's pretend like the estate agent did and hide where we really live''. For the website, look for Greenwich. For the road, left out of the foot tunnel, and look for Deptford.
  • Wharf Cycles
    21 - 23 Westferry Road
    Docklands
    London
    E14 8JH
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I don't work there any more, but I'm sure I remember seeing a place just SW of the Wharf area itself. Just had a look at a map, looks like it was either Cuba St or Manilla St (or another E/W road very close by). Was a long time ago, but looked like a proper LBS.

I hate the shops at CW; every single one is either part of a chain or a franchise. Even the pubs are near-identical, and half of them don't even sell real beer...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    pastryboy wrote:

it used to be there, they moved I think it's just off Limeharbour street now, but it was a few years ago so it's a little fuzzy, it's quite close to the Audi garage
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    edited November 2009
    Wharf Cycles
    21 - 23 Westferry Road
    Docklands
    London
    E14 8JH

On streetmap that shows up as being just at the back of the City Pride pub, an area that has recently been built on... I'm going to have a walk over there tomorrow as long as it's not lashing down... want to get myself a Lezyne pump and they're listed as dealers...
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Lurking because I spent a long lunch hour walking around there looking for this shop.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    pastryboy wrote:
    No, just seeing if there's anywhere else to go during lunchtimes.

This website makes cycledoctor sound like a store:

http://www.cycledoctor.co.uk/

That is in Cannon Workshops which is opposite Hertsmere House where I worked from 97 to 2001 (CW was very bleak back in those days). It's shown as Cannon drive on google maps

Dunno if its still there but to get there go to West India Quay and across the greeny yellow bridge to the 'warehouse' bars (Bar 38, Via Fossa, Browns etc) and turn left, going in between Hertsmere House (which is a small 3 level building with black pyramid shapes on the roof) and the Wetherspoons pub.

Cross Hertsmere Road and directly opposite Hertsmere House is Cannon workshops

After a spell in the city I'm back in CW for the 2nd time but up the other end where all the bank HQ's are.
    FCN = 4
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    Had a walk around thje back of City Pride this morning - no sign of any bikes shops there as it's all new developments... anyone any ideas? Would rather chose an independent that that chain shop in CW...
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Fancypants
    Fancypants Posts: 44
    I'm afraid this place is long gone, and in very unhappy circumstances too. They got kicked out of their rented premises, as they were being flattened to build hundreds of overpriced, crappy and unwanted flats on instead.

I've no idea what happened to the guys that ran it, they claimed they were trying to stay in business locally, but I've not succeeded in finding out if they did this. I'd be interested in any info though, as they were miles better than Evans - value for money and service levels.
    Life is beautiful, life is a struggle, life is a beautiful struggle