Front light

2»

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    FOAD wrote:
    Isn't this all a bit like saying don't buy a Pinarello Prince because you can get a Dawes Giro 200 for an eigth of the price?

Why people worry so much about what other people are spending is beyond me.

I have an S3 when I could have had a Leon with the same engine, what was I thinking?

What were you thinking? Leons are the nuts :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    FOAD wrote:
    Isn't this all a bit like saying don't buy a Pinarello Prince because you can get a Dawes Giro 200 for an eigth of the price?

I have an S3 when I could have had a Leon with the same engine, what was I thinking?

The bike comparison is just not right - the car one could be but would be more accurate if it was like this.

MagicShine - a Fiesta with the engine of an M3
    Exposure - an M3 with the engine of a Fiesta

8) :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    gabriel959 wrote:
    FOAD wrote:

The bike comparison is just not right - the car one could be but would be more accurate if it was like this.

MagicShine - a Fiesta with the engine of an M3
    Exposure - an M3 with the engine of a Fiesta

8) :lol:

I think the bike comparison is fine, as it's not about the bike is it? The rider provides the performance, the better bike just makes it more pleasurable (and ok a bit easier too).

As for Leon/S3...same 2.0 TFSI engine provides the performance.

Magicshine and the Tesla...the P7 provides the performance.

I went for the S3 because the build quality and most other things Audi vs Seat are a different league, Magicshine vs Lupine the same...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It all comes down to if you are happy paying more for certain features ie 'all in a can' design of the Exposures, maybe the name, warranty, some extra features, or just because you want it!

Personally find the extra price of much of this to be too much in raw performance terms, especially when some are 5x the cost. I don't think anyone can justify the base level exposure Diabolo!
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Aguila wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    yes the strada is 480 and nearly £220 but it has two bulbs, one a spot and one a flood. it also has a remote switch for when you are on the hoods so you dont blind car drivers. with my strada i have had cars give way to me, await me passing them on narrow roads, roads that in the light they dont normally wait for me.

Depends if you think that is worth an extra 170 quid though.

I do for one, there's no comparison in terms of quality and the exposure lights are actually designed to be bike lights. I bet our exposure lights last years but you lot will be buying again before long.

Plus there's just something a bit log about having a torch strapped to your bars.

Call me a light snob if you will..... :wink:

Light Snob :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I've been using a magicshine almost daily now for about 4-5 months. The battery now has half the run time and I've gotten through 2 rubber bands.

Quality is definitely an issue. Bright yes, cheap yes, worth it in the long run? I don't know.

The connection between battery and lamp is fiddly and I can see it causing a cable breakage in long term use. The mode switch only cycles meaning you have to go through all the settings including off to get from low to high beam. The battery itself has weatherproofing issues.

The flashing modes are useless, not that anyone uses these for flashing. The SOS mode doesn't actually spell SOS its just jibberish. The strobe is just going to give people seizures.

If you don't use the light often, yes magicshine is worth it. After using mine as much as I am doing, I reckon if I'll need to buy 1 or 2 spare batteries a year, within 2 I've paid for an Exposure Strada that will probably still be running.

I rekon I'll be buying a Strada now, you get what you pay for.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is still 50 quid vs 200 though, and the Exposure battery would have probably dropped off somewhat too after that amount of time. Hard to say, but as above, you need to weigh up what is best for you.

I think the torches are probably still the best for the money, as the cells are ultra cheap.
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    Scrap what I said earlier my battery is actually completely dead as of my commute home tonight. Fully charged but was red on plugin, lasted 10 minutes on low.

50 quid for the set, £20 for a new battery every 4-5 months (and another 3 week wait for delivery). Thats £90 in the first year, 150 after 2. You could buy the exposure for little over £150. You could buy a number of other great lights for that money.

I'm reminded of the saying 'Buy cheap, pay twice' which I tend to find almost always rings true.

I reckon you're right about the torches but they are a faff for the daily late night commute with having to swap and charge the cells every day.