CO2 inflaters, do the cartridges re-seal?

BorisSpencer
BorisSpencer Posts: 786
edited October 2009 in MTB general
With the inflaters that take a threaded cartridge, can you take the cartridge off, or, once punctured do you have to leave it on until that one is empty.
Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    have to leave it on am affraid. The cartridge seal is punctured by the inflator inside. Seals the two together but if you sperate them your loose the seal. It wont hold forever though!
  • One standard cartridge seems to be enough to fill a 2.1 tyre to around 36 - 40 Psi which makes the cartridge a sort of one shot item if you’ve had a puncture.

To answer your question, no once the seal as broken you must leave it screwed in unless you want to see how far you can fire across the garden. Which I quite far as it happens.
  • Only put the cartridge into the inflator device when required, to do it at any other time is a bit silly because if your riding along and the cartridge somehow comes loose from the inflator whilst inside your rucksack, you'll soon know about it!!! - Especially if your back got a nice freeze burn!
  • Cheers guys, I thought as much. I bought one of the 40g tins thinking I could just put it on to try a ghetto tubeless inflation, then go back to carrying the inflater and normal cartridge when I'm "riding light" on the roadie.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.