Contador Fever Hits Earls Court

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Seems Senor Contador has been attracting Armstrong like crowds and wowing the fans in London.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -show.html
I wonder if him being in England will fuel any further transfer speculation?
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Je'su's! S'ort out your apos'trophe's
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Truly an apostrophe catastrophe!

If you're not going to use them properly, mummy's going to take them away - y'hear!?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Apostrophe fever hit's Blazings Keyboard.

Strava is not Zen.
  • TommyEss
    calvjones wrote:
    hit's

You'd better be messing, boy!

(Said in the drawl of a wisened old cowboy from any classic western)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I took this at the show today and got his autograph:

contador.jpg
  • calvjones wrote:
    Apostrophe fever hit's Blazings Keyboard.
    That it did.
    Other that than, no one seems much interested.
    Must all be at skool. :roll:

Oh, hang on. Nice photo, Pete.
  • TommyEss
    It won't mean anything to any of you, but Contador is the absolute spit of my old next-door neighbour Rick.

Pointed it out a couple of years ago, and we all had a good laugh.

Nice he's getting out after all the TdF Astana/Radio Shack crap has died down.
  • pete54 wrote:

contador.jpg

Nicely captures the big Bambi eyes.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited October 2009
    pete54 wrote:

contador.jpg

Nicely captures the big Bambi eyes.

Aren’t they sweet, the eyes of a killer really (on a bike) :D
    I patted the dude on the back whilst saying bravo to him at the end of the Bornand stage of the Tour this year, as he was riding back from the podium; he seemed very cheerful, as I guess you would leading the Tour eh.
    Sadly though he was too quick to also take a picture of.
  • TommyEss
    Just noticed - is he wearing his own "El Pistolero" t-shirt?

Want!!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    TommyEss wrote:
    Just noticed - is he wearing his own "El Pistolero" t-shirt?

Want!!

Nice it is too, I guess he was unlikely to wear this...

i_love_astana_basic_t_shirt_tshirt-p235494531172302670td5v_210.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if him being in England will fuel any further transfer speculation?

Oh go on then.... (apologies to Team Sky fans)

This is not real

----

From the New Dehli Evening Star

Earls Court, London. Double Tour de France winner Alberto Contador made a surprise appearance at the Cycle Show today fueling rumours that he is about to announce a move to a new team. Spaniard Contador has been linked to Garmin, Quick.Step and the Caisse d'Epargne teams however cycling insiders believe a move to the new Team Sky may be on the cards.

Team Sky are the new British backed Pro Tour team who have one of the largest budgets in the sport. The team have made a number of signings for next season however have not managed to secure any grand tour contendors or big name British cyclists. Pundits have refered to the team a "British Milram" and said the team matches Sky's TV offerings by costing a lot of money and offering very little you'd like to watch. Contadors current Astana team field a far more formidable Grand Tour squad and is only composed of 2 riders.

Contador would bring some much needed star quality to the team as well as links to a dodgy health food scam. The sticking point appears to be British cyclings moral position on doping but respected journalist spoke to us anonymously and wondered how a team hiring staff involved in the 06 Giro win or riders coached by notorious doctor Luigi Cecchini can pretend to have any kind of higher morality.

Contador is tight lipped on the rumours and responded to all questions with his usual "Next question" response
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    According to the latest Lionel Birnie tweet, Bertie wouldn't talk to Sky today :lol:
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    :?:

I remember reading that DB bluntly denied the possibility of AC joining Team Sky?
  • iainf72
    Arkibal wrote:
    :?:

I remember reading that DB bluntly denied the possibility of AC joining Team Sky?

It's not real. Tis my good self taking the pee
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    .... ''He's not Alberto Contador...he's a very naughty boy....now fudge off !'' (Rick's mum from Reading)
  • I was at show today and waited patiently for Bertie to turn up and do the autographs. At 11.10 hardly anybody was there waiting, as he walked around the corner there was an almighty ruckus and I was swarmed by a autograph feeding frenzy!!! I couldn't be bothered hanging around so carried on looking at the bike bling!

Although I did have a good end to the day - I met one of my idols Richard Ashcroft on Goldhawk Rd in the Bush!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    What was he upto in the bush drew? :)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Yes, when Brailsford was asked (during the tour, I think) if he would be interested in hiring AC,he had one word.

No.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Did Contador visit the Garmin stand? :wink:

Talking of which, apparently Dan Martin will be on the Garmin stand tomorrow. Jonathan Vaughters has twittered that Martin is on fire, breaking training records. "Dan Martin has broken CVV's record up Rocacorba in Girona. 4 best times:DM:28:43, CVV:29:14, LeviL:29:30, Wiggo:30:01"

See http://twitter.com/Vaughters for more.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:

Talking of which, apparently Dan Martin will be on the Garmin stand tomorrow. Jonathan Vaughters has twittered that Martin is on fire, breaking training records. "Dan Martin has broken CVV's record up Rocacorba in Girona. 4 best times:DM:28:43, CVV:29:14, LeviL:29:30, Wiggo:30:01"

I think he needs to be on fire more during the season rather than during training.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    Tusher wrote:
    Yes, when Brailsford was asked (during the tour, I think) if he would be interested in hiring AC,he had one word.

No.

Perhaps the people providing the money have to him they'd prefer to win a big race now and then :wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If they did sign him, I'm sure Nygaard could explain how Contador was never linked to Puerto. :wink:
  • iainf72 wrote:
    It's not real. Tis my good self taking the pee

Looks like both the Guardian and Times read your report's Iain.
    Your rumour mill is working overtime! :P
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oc ... o-contador
  • iainf72
    Wiggins and Bertie to Sky, can you imagine it? "Now Brad, this edition of the Tour has some real mountains in it, so try your best but we're protecting our new British citizen Albert Count-Doors"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Kléber wrote:

Dan Martin was at the show. Was interviewed on the stage (along with Russell Downing and Tim Harris). He said he would have preferred if JV hadn't tweeted about his good form. Was trying to keep it quiet before Lombardy...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iainf72
    Brailsford says Bertster not going to Sky

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... sford.html

He's still hopeful of signing someone Joe Public have heard of
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    I met Magnus Backstedt (apologies if spelled incorrectly) at the cycleshow. Top bloke! I tell you, if cycle races were decided on the strength of someone's handshake he would have won a lot more races! I told him that the most pain I've seen a pro in was when he was pulled up at the side of the road retiring in his last tour a couple of years ago, I then said I really felt for him as I was watching. He said, yes, he was in agony as he was suffering from an illness around that time. He also thanked me for the sympathy! Nice one Magnus, wish you all the best.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Yep, Maggie's a top geezer. Very friendly. Welsh see :wink:

Strava is not Zen.