Lame Excuse Ahoy!

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited October 2009 in Pro race
One of the great things about being a cycling fan is that you stop treating other sports with the same level of credulity

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... sting.html

...and no mention of their forner doctor getting a suspended sentence for doping players"without their knowledge" hmmm
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    You need to remove the final [/url] from the above link. Or you could just click on the one below;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/6274869/Fabio-Cannavaro-fails-drugs-test-after-taking-medicine-for-wasp-sting.html
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    But of course you're forgetting football is about skill so there is no benefit to be had from PEDs :lol:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    But of course you're forgetting football is about skill so there is no benefit to be had from PEDs :lol:

Of course!!
    I've heard some excuses, but this takes the biscuit - Juventus, er, haven't they history??
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Rules are rules, the athlete is responsible for verifying what they take. An injection should automatically ring alarm bells and when you consider a team doctor was employed to do this, he should have been able to read the ingredients.

Remember Vaughters being unable to finish the Tour de France in 2001? He was stung by an insect a few days from the end of the Tour, he'd come through the Alps and Pyrenees but could not continue because he was blocked from taking cortisone to reduce the swelling.

200901112339.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Of course, the use of corticoids being used as a masking agent for more serious steroids is purely co-incidental - I mean a wasp-sting is a severe, career-limiting incident!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kléber wrote:

200901112339.jpg

HEY YOU GUYS!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • AndyRAC wrote:

Of course!!
    I've heard some excuses, but this takes the biscuit - Juventus, er, haven't they history??

Many of the Juve squad of the mid to late nineties were accused of taking enough stuff like creatine to have the same effects as illegal doping. Players like Zidane for example. Also Edgar Davids was banned for taking steroids during this period. And who can forget the Italian betting ring a few years ago which saw Juventus amongst others being relegated from Serie A.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    The Juventus doctor from that period was convicted of doping offences and imprisoned. Other club officials escaped conviction:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 34682.html
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I bet if your eye swelled up like that you'd want to take something for it...

Yeuch!!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss wrote:
    I bet if your eye swelled up like that you'd want to take something for it...

Yeuch!!!

A couple of weeks ago I swelled up very similarly after something flew into my bike helmet & stung me on the forehead. The doctor gave me 6 steroids to take every day for 5 days. The next day I had to give a talk to a group of 6th form boys, which wasn't ideal (I did it behind large dark glasses as I still looked like the Elephant Man)!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    From what I can see, this is just a case of poor admin (by Juve and CONI) and unfortunate timing. Nothing dodgy at all in my opinion.

That's not to say that Italian football isn't a cess pool of corruption, becuase it is. It's just that his doesn't seem like an example of it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Kléber wrote:
    Rules are rules, the athlete is responsible for verifying what they take. An injection should automatically ring alarm bells and when you consider a team doctor was employed to do this, he should have been able to read the ingredients.

Remember Vaughters being unable to finish the Tour de France in 2001? He was stung by an insect a few days from the end of the Tour, he'd come through the Alps and Pyrenees but could not continue because he was blocked from taking cortisone to reduce the swelling.

200901112339.jpg

I remember thinking about Vaughters after that bee sting and it crossed my mind that
    although rules are rules, SOMETIMES they are just plain stupid.
  • TommyEss
    Quite - I mean with an eye completely shut like that, his depth perception would have been affected - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be near him in the peloton like that.

Poor bugger!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    TommyEss wrote:
    Quite - I mean with an eye completely shut like that, his depth perception would have been affected - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be near him in the peloton like that.

Poor bugger!

I was thinking more along the lines of "give the guy a break" on the rules type of thing.
    Let him take the shot and get some relief. Maybe even continue the race. Although, it was pretty obvious that he was faking it. Just a good makeup job. :wink::wink:
  • TommyEss
    Can just picture Landis repeatedly slamming a door into his face to achieve the same look.

In fact, I think plenty of people would pay good money to see him do that...

again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and.....

*(Love ctrl+c/ctrl+v)
  • A bee stung me on the eyelid a few weeks back (caught in between my eye and my glasses, joy).

Looked like i'd been fighting.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • A bee stung me on the eyelid a few weeks back (caught in between my eye and my glasses, joy).

Looked like i'd been fighting.

A bee stung me last week too, £20 for a jar of honey!

abumtish.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TommyEss
    You should bee more careful in future.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Kléber wrote:

200901112339.jpg

HEY YOU GUYS!

That made me laugh. There's something I just love about that remark.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I mean a wasp-sting is a severe, career-limiting incident!
    Death by anaphylaxis sure as hell is !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?