Grizedale trail centre???

Kaz01
Kaz01 Posts: 37
edited October 2009 in Routes
Hi all, i've got a horrible feeling i might have posted this in the wrong place but i'm new to this so please forgive me!

Was i just expecting too much from Grizedale or did i completely miss the trail?!?! :shock:
I've just returned from a trip with my Fiance to Scotland, on the way we stopped at Whinlatter and then rode Glentress (loved it) and Innerleithen while we were up there. We decided to stop at Grizedale on the way home and we were both left quite bored (sorry to anyone who likes Grizedale). It seems like we spent far too much time on fire road and the little time we did spend on singletrack just seemed to disappoint as there was no 'wow-factor' or flow. I realise i'm not going to like everywhere but every other place i've been has at least had a section i enjoyed. Just wondered what other peoples views are on Grizedale? It seemed a lot more geared to walkers??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Moved :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You must have missed it.
    Frank Yates
  • Kaz01
    Kaz01 Posts: 37
    we followed the way-marked trail but it really just seemed boring. I've not been riding very long but i've never wanted to get back to the car park as much as i did today. Just feel deflated that there wasn't more there since it was recommended as a good place to go.......... :( I think i'll stick to Cannock until the next road trip to Scotland. :?
  • I agree I was expecting a lot from the northface trail when I first went. Unfortunately it failed to deliver on all levels.
    Don’t get me wrong it’s a well constructed trail it will last for years but it seemed to have no flow. I did enjoy the last downhill section into the car park but it was over all too quickly. However they are some nice runs to session in Grizedale if you know where to look and some of the Bridleways in the area awesome when not packed with ramblers.

I wouldn’t make a special trip to the area just to ride the Northface. A real shame.
  • I'm off to Grizedale tomorrow. Will be doing the first two, and last two sections of NFT, but for the rest of a 30 mile ride I'll be off on the lesser known tracks in and around the forest. NFT is OK, but there's so much more in there; you can't really get to know the place on a quick visit. You need someone to show you the best bits, and you can't fit everything in in one visit.
    Frank Yates
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I personally think the NFT is boring unless,as mentioned,you tie it in with some of the natural stuff.We quite regularly do a 180mile round trip to do this.
  • cammer
    cammer Posts: 55
    I've just returned from a trip with my Fiance to Scotland, on the way we stopped at Whinlatter and then rode Glentress (loved it) and Innerleithen while we were up there

There is your answer, you were spoiled by some of the best man-made trails in the uk before going to Grizedale. The North Face trail does seem dated now compared to other trail centres, but get off the NF and you'll find some of the best 'natural' riding in the Lakes.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If you were expecting big thrills and challenges from the NFT then you were always going to be disappointed.

There's so much excellent natural riding around Grizedale that unless you're a complete novice, and you're prepared to put the work in to find it, the NFT is kind of redundant.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic