Route planning.

kernowaj
kernowaj Posts: 198
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
OK. I want to go to Dartmoor for a 20mile ish ride, starting and finishing in the same place. How should I plan something like this. Is there sign posted routes ar do you need to look at a map and follow paths marked on the map?

Thanks.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It's all down to your map reading skills.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Irrespective of whether there are waymarked routes, you should take a map anyway.

If you're doing a loop, count the number of contour lines your route crosses, then divide by two and you can work out your total ascent for the route. Similarly if you count the number of gridlines you cross in any direction and divide by two, you can get a reasonably accurate measurement of the number of miles of your total route.
  • kernowaj
    OK thanks
  • This is a free website that you can use to plan routes and print them out as an OS map. It also tells you the distance and you can upload frm your GPS onto it.

www.bikehike.co.uk
    Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • kernowaj
    That Bikehike website looks good, but I couldnt get it to plan an off-road route! Probabl just me being computer illeterate. :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    1. Get the OS Explorer map for the area.

2. Get a highlighter pen.

3. Spread the map out on the living room floor/dining table.

4. Attack map with pen marking all legit trails (i.e. bridleways, byways, etc.)

5. Work out a loop using roads to link sections together where necessary.

6. Go ride.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • When your on bikehike if you have the large window with the google earth (or hybrid) map and the OS map in the small window. If you plot the route on the OS map it will come up on the google style map so you can plan off road routes.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • wrx
    wrx Posts: 27
    dave_hill wrote:
    1. Get the OS Explorer map for the area.

2. Get a highlighter pen.

3. Spread the map out on the living room floor/dining table.

4. Attack map with pen marking all legit trails (i.e. bridleways, byways, etc.)

5. Work out a loop using roads to link sections together where necessary.

6. Go ride.

Totally what I do. And its great to get a better knowledge of all the local tracks and bridleways.

This method ROCKS!
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Where's the path? is similar to the BikeHike site.. I use it to plot a route then export it as a GPX file for use on my phone using ViewRanger.

If I was going somewhere more remote / unfamiliar though would take a map too..
  • Have just had a quick look and a play, seems bit more detailed then bikehike and the route editing is alot easier too.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    It's a really good idea to have a bike computer to measure how far you've gone. This helps you work out whether you've reached your turning point even if it's not clear on the ground. Also don't forget to 'tick' off the things you'll see along the way, work out what you'll see when you get there, and work out what you'll see if you've gone too far? If you do this for each leg of the route you'll hardly ever got lost.

Also, on Dartmoor there are lots of boundaries marked on the map. You should be careful with these as they're often drystone walls that are so tumbled down you can hardly see them.

Cheers
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125