Touring south-west Sicily- any advice appreciated

blorg
blorg Posts: 1,169
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm going to Sicily on Sunday with my girlfriend and the bikes for six days to do a short tour in the south west of the island.

On the list to see are Selinunte and Agrigento, beyond that no real must dos (not our first time in Sicily, we have been around the eastern and northern coast before.)

Flying in to Trapani and current plan is something like this - this is just a rough sketch that I will be editing in more detail to ensure it stays off main roads etc. I have a Garmin 705 which has routed me well in France, Spain and Sardinia. We will of course also have a paper map.

I have heard rumours that the old train line between Castelvetrano and Agrigento has been converted to cycle use but a quick Google doesn't turn much up...

We are probably looking at 4 days cycling (so around 80-90km/day) with two days off- another requirement is that at least (!) one of these stops is at a beach.

Any suggestions on nice cycle routes or things to see in that general idea much appreciated. Roads that are good for cycling, roads to avoid, etc.

Comments