Commuting SS - Off the peg options?

2»

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If you're going to be commuting then you really should consider mudguards - I know they're not cool - but I've got a slick summer bike with no guards for the good days - when I'm commuting, I just want to get there in the best possible state I can.

Therefore rack and "fender" mounts are very useful.

Beware though that many that offer the eyelets don't actually fit proper guards, as the clearance is too tight.

That's why I ended up with the Pompino - that and the £100 off they offered last year.

Of the list above - both Pearsons, the Pompino and the Surly will definitely take proper full length guards.

I think the flyer and Langster have the mounts, but I'm not convinced they'll take full guards - get into a shop and check if you're considering them (and indeed considering mudguards)

My 2-penneth!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • equaliser wrote:
    Intrigued to know what route you'd be doing; I'd be impressed to see anyone do the hill next to Stoneleigh after the bridge on an SS/fixed. (I do Cov - Warwick, btw)

My flatmate (same guy that DevUK is referring to with the Kuk Decade) just tackled that hill on the Decade this weekend.. he said that he was literally seconds from having to stop because of being in sheer agony before he reached the crest of the hill - and coasted down the other side.

I ride it occasionally on a normal geared roadbike and whilst it's gotten easier, it still kicks my ass badly! I find it much easier to divert left and take the slightly longer route into Leamington, especially after a long day at work!
    Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Chicane-UK wrote:
    equaliser wrote:
    Intrigued to know what route you'd be doing; I'd be impressed to see anyone do the hill next to Stoneleigh after the bridge on an SS/fixed. (I do Cov - Warwick, btw)

My flatmate (same guy that DevUK is referring to with the Kuk Decade) just tackled that hill on the Decade this weekend.. he said that he was literally seconds from having to stop because of being in sheer agony before he reached the crest of the hill - and coasted down the other side.

Not bad for a first attempt though!

I'm still in two minds as to what to do. I wouldn't be too bothered about guards, as I have the MTB for the daily grind in the wet, and it has full guards.

I'm going to have a look at a few this weekend at my LBS (limited choice) and maybe a few test rides, depending on what he has available.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • I've ridden the SE Lager in Edinburgh for the past five months and, despite the pretty horrendous colourscheme (I just fired some stickers on it), seatpost, saddle and tyres it's a peach. Heavy enough to not feel as if you'll be sideswiped by winds, nice gear ratio if you're riding it SS (46x17) and bullhorns make a nice change from drops. There are only one or two hills in Edinburgh that I can't go up at a good lick and you'll find that your hillclimbing will probably improve since you just have to get up 'em, elevation be damned. Plus, flip-flop hub so's you can pootle about or go fixed for fun.

Mind you, I did get it cheap through work, but you can get some good deals on 2009 models if you shop around. I don't really look at my bike when I'm riding it so don't really give a flying slippery swig what it looks like, just how it feels under me, and the Lager's a nice mix between style and function.

Of course, you could go the DIY route, get a nice old frame and convert it, but that may take you a while and och, the nights are fair drawin' in..
  • DevUK
    Thanks for the info about the Lager. How do you find the frame size? Looking at the Plug and reading around, it seems the frame is a little odd to fit. I suspect I'd need either a small or a XS from what I've read.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/index.html?action=97

The new pearson touche looks fab
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Charge.

The 'PlugRacer' is simply awsomeness in bike form.

Plug_Racer.jpg
  • DevUK
    Hoping to get a ride on a Plug tomorrow, along with a Maurice. If I like the plug, I might go for the racer. My LBS has a plug in M in stock but I suspect I'll need a small.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • DevUK
    Thought I'd post an update, seeing as it's been ages! I went with a Charge Plug Freestyler in the end, and I'm loving it :) The regular Plug rode well, but I didn't like the wheel set, and couldn't get on with the bull horns. On the flip side, the Mongoose Maurice I tried out felt great so I figured I'd get the best of both worlds :)

So here she is, having been in my clutches for 6 weeks or so:

4163220425_1f38e14b32.jpg
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    That looks far nicer than most Plugs. Glad you're enjoying it!

There was one parked at work yesterday with a normal back wheel and an arrospok on the front.

:roll: