Etape du Tour 2010 Sunday 18th July Pau-Col du Tourmalet.

shawman
shawman Posts: 76
Etape du Tour 2010 Sunday 18th July from Pau to Col du Tourmalet.

http://www.velopeloton.com/blog.htm

Marie Blanque, Aubisque, Soulor, Bordéres, Tourmalet. 161km with 5550m of accent.
Etape%20du%20tour%202010R1profile.gif

Or
Marie Blanque, Soulor from the north, Bordéres, Tourmalet. 174km with 4500m of accent.
Etape%20du%20tour%202010R2profile.gif

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can't see them going for the 5500m version. That's Marmotte climbing.

A bit similar to 2008. I've a feeling I'll miss this version and use the money to take
    on a couple of smaller french sportives.
    exercise.png
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If you want the Pyrenees, try the French Ariegeoise or the Spanish Quebrantahuesos. Both are excellent, and you can probably ride both for the same cost as the Etape.

Talking of money, have you seem the £-€ rate, it's almost 1-1 now :shock:
  • As an Etape newbie it looks fantastic to me! Although you only feel the excitement and not the pain when looking at profiles like this. I've just compared this to the last ride I did and the biggest hill was about equivalent to the first bump! OH MY GOD, pass me my helmet I'm going for a ride..
  • Not only is the £ - € rate abysmal, ASO have just increased the price to agencies to €150 (€125 in 2009). Look at entry- only places costing around £200.............
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Kléber wrote:
    If you want the Pyrenees, try the French Ariegeoise or the Spanish Quebrantahuesos. Both are excellent, and you can probably ride both for the same cost as the Etape.

Or La Pyreneenne. Did it this year, great event.
  • shawman
    shawman Posts: 76
    APIII wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Or La Pyreneenne. Did it this year, great event.

Also did this and agree it is a great event.

http://picasaweb.google.com/velopeloton ... 3June2009#
  • Can anybody advise me what pace you'd have to maintain to avoid the broom wagon? Thanks.
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    About 19km/h should see you through

Depends which start number you have...the wagon normally travels @ 17km/h

But dont forget this is the average speed over the whole distance...For example in this years Etape my average over the first 150km was about 29 km/h....by the time I had finished on the summit of Ventoux it had dropped to about 20 km/h
    exercise.png
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can anybody advise me what pace you'd have to maintain to avoid the broom wagon? Thanks.

They publish a detailed breakdown nearer the event. The last couple of years it's been
    around 10-10h30, but you lose upto 30 mins getting over the start.

This works out at 17kph avg. Seems slow, but for me, was about the effort of 23-24kph
    in a hilly UK sportive.
    exercise.png
  • Hi there,

If you're interested in l'Etape 2010, here's a short film from a French site for you, basically 4 local riders doing the whole route:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb3sv7_etape-du-tour-mondovelo-2010_sport
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    TheStone wrote:
    Can anybody advise me what pace you'd have to maintain to avoid the broom wagon? Thanks.

They publish a detailed breakdown nearer the event. The last couple of years it's been
    around 10-10h30, but you lose upto 30 mins getting over the start.

This works out at 17kph avg. Seems slow, but for me, was about the effort of 23-24kph
    in a hilly UK sportive.

This year the standards didnt get published until the day before the race. It is a bit tricky estimating ride time based on UK sportives as the courses are so different in nature. This years ride was relatively "easy" and I averaged 4kph less than I did on the Dragon. Next years etape is tougher and I think average speed differences to UK events will be higher as a result.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    Hi there,

If you're interested in l'Etape 2010, here's a short film from a French site for you, basically 4 local riders doing the whole route:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb3sv7_etape-du-tour-mondovelo-2010_sport

Great find ... 8)
    exercise.png