Through London or avoid?

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
I a riding down to Dover next summer from West Yorkshire and clearly my route involves crossing the Thames at some point. I have searched about on here a bit and seen that you can get driven across the dartford crossing but it seems like the roads round there are a bit grim.

Am I best trying that route or should I look to go through London instead?

Pro's for Dartford are it's much more direct.
Pro's for London are the 'experiance of cycling through London and passing some landmarks. It should be more interesting.

I am fine cycling in traffic so that is not too big a concern. Any view on the London route being worthwhile or is Dartford not that bad?

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Personally (and I say this as a Londoner who loves the place) I'd be very tempted to catch the train from somewhere on the outskirts, then ride from Euston or Kings X to London Bridge and then catch the train to somewhere like rochester and then ride on to Dover from there.

I know you're not afraid of traffic but riding in urban traffic for mile after mile would be pretty tedious and tiring. Alternatively, there's a nice ride into town along the towpath from Hertford - you could then head west to do some sightseeing, or head for the Woolwich ferry.
  • If you're cycling from yorkshire, can you arrange that you stop for the night in London?
    Then you'd be cycling into london one day and out another, rather than just trying to get through it.

I quite enjoy cycling through london (i live in brighton), but the thought of going all the way through in one go would be tedious. Too much stop start.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I am also a Londoner and agree with AndyMiller.

I would also urge you to consider using the canals to enter London from the north. National Cycle Route 1 brings you into the city and past the Olympic site. You can then pick up Narrow Street up to TOwer Bridge and then London Bridge station. Not sure about using the canals to exit London, but I would rather take a train from London Bridge out to somewhere more pleasant in Kent than negotiate South London. Anyway, do have a think about the canals which make for some much quieter and plesant riding.

I would certainly not go anywhere near the Dartford crossing!
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan