Pro Pedal, not got it on my Anthem X3.....upgrade maybe???

kitenski
kitenski Posts: 218
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Evening all,

I have a few month old Anthem X3, I actually test rode an X1, and wanted an X2, but couldn't find any!!

I'm wondering wether a rear shock upgrade to one including Pro Pedal would increase up hill ability?

If so it appears my options are Fox Float RP2 or RP23, what spec/size do I need to look out for???

it appears CR sell this for £199

Fox Racing Shox Float RP2 2008
140mm - 28mm Stroke (No Bushes)

I'm also in the US November, so am considering getting one over there, does anyone know if the Fox warranty is global?

regards,

Greg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First of all, do you feel you need it? Alos you can get it added to your shock as part of a service at Mojo (if it is a basic Fox Float R)
  • kitenski
    edited October 2009
    supersonic wrote:
    First of all, do you feel you need it? Alos you can get it added to your shock as part of a service at Mojo (if it is a basic Fox Float R)

I hadn't done when all off road, but did a local loop on Sunday, and on road up a hill in between off road sections I was left for dead by my mate on a hard tail, when I wouldn't normally have been.......

Interesting re Mojo, looks like it's going to cost £130ish for service & upgrade????
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    supersonic wrote:

yeah doubt you need it with maestro-just put a little more pressure in
    if you need a service then get it done, otherwise i wouldnt bother wasting the money

from what ive read on anthems they are supposed to fly up hills like a hardtail but with more grip-perhaps your running too soft?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • kitenski
    interesting thought re it being too soft, I did the sag test fully kitted out with hydration pack etc.

Do rear shocks lose pressure over time, if so, how often should I be checking the pressure?

Cheers,

greg
  • supersonic
    Check your sag rather than presures. Some can lose air very slowly.
  • rhyko7
    kitenski wrote:
    interesting thought re it being too soft, I did the sag test fully kitted out with hydration pack etc.

Do rear shocks lose pressure over time, if so, how often should I be checking the pressure?

Cheers,

greg

i dont bother with the sag test-i dont like it that soft, pump it up harder and ride, dont do it by the book, do it by how you like/want it. if i do mine by the sag it spends half the ride bottoming out. i run it at 195 psi, the sag test gives me about 180 psi.

if it feels too hard put it softer, simple trial and error. i sometimes change mine for different types of riding too, prefer to pump it up have a ride around and see how it feels rather than measuring the sag. im sure there is a reason for the sag test, but you dont have to follow it

my riding:

• supersonic
    True, it is good to go on feel. But it depends on what sag you want. Your sag test doesn't mean anything without giving figures!

The reason why I go for a sag number (ie 25%, 20%) is that attatching your pump can give a false initial measurement as the pump chamber fills with air. Something to take into account.

Also some suspension systems are designed to work within a range of sag figures.
  • rhyko7
    supersonic wrote:
    True, it is good to go on feel. But it depends on what sag you want. Your sag test doesn't mean anything without giving figures!

The reason why I go for a sag number (ie 25%, 20%) is that attatching your pump can give a false initial measurement as the pump chamber fills with air. Something to take into account.

Also some suspension systems are designed to work within a range of sag figures.

i cant remember - i did what it said in my bike manual (how sad lol)
    didnt like it so i just do the trial and error thing. dont think the chamber filling up should make any difference as air pressure should be equal in all directions- i really dont want to argue that point tho
    point is that you dont have to run the shock at the recemended sag, many prefer it harder and some softer. if you wanna climb quicker adding 10 psi should just about make a noticible difference

my riding:

• kitenski
    so the manual says pump up until psi equal to 100% of rider weight in pounds. then set sag, as follows

Anthem X 20-30% recommended sag, 8mm-11mm
    Anthem 15%-25% recommended sag, 5mm to 8mm

As I have an Anthem X3 I went with 8mm sag = 20%. I do remember having to take a fair bit of pressure OUT of the shock after initially setting it to my weight.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Pro pedal is a nice feature on fire road and tarmac, but I'm not sure it's worth a big outlay, especially when the Maestro system is so efficient anyway. If you can get it added when you get it serviced that sounds like a great idea.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I think i've only used ProPedal once or twice on my Trek.
  • kitenski
    hmm, just checked pressues tonight, looks like it had dropped 20%, so have pumped it back uup and a bit more than last time to see how that feels....
  • I've heard of people switching to an RP23 on a Trance and it had no ride benefit at all. I have a Trance and really don't think the Maestro back end needs an RP23. The Float R has a medium Pro Pedal tune anyway.
    I also have a plain old Float R on my Iron Horse Azure - and it climbs great.
    All that money for a little blue anodised lever... Hmmm. If you've got the cash, it sure looks sweet but is it really needed?
    Iron Horse Azure Expert
    Giant Trance 3
    Scott G-Zero FX