Suspension fork protection

antonin
antonin Posts: 7
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, I've just ordered my first MTB with suspension forks (140mm) and would like to know if it's worth buying a pair of Lizard Skins fork boots or any other product to help protect the stanchions.

Any advice/product recommendations would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Fork boots do more bad than good, thats why no-one uses them, grit can get stuck inside the boot doing more harm than good. If your going to crash and are unlucky enough to scratch a stanchion on a rock (doesn't happen often) when falling off then count it as a bad day!
  • I would suggest it's not really necessary to need to do anything to protect your fork stanchions.

A rubber boot or similar will end up becoming a trap for dirt and grime, which will then be more likely to cause abrasions and scratches on the stanchions, potentially affecting the seals.

Your only other concern could be crash damage - in this instance a protective boot might be worthwhile, although a big enough accident may still result in damage.

From my experience, stanchon protection is unnecessary, just keep your forks regularly cleaned and serviced and they'll serve you well for years.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    What they said.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. Its saved me a few quid as well :)