Which LED dynamo headlight?

pedalpower
pedalpower Posts: 138
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
Trying to choose between the Schmidt Edelux, the B&M Cyo, Inoled Extreme and the Supernova E3 (or E3 triple). Peter White cycles suggests that the E3 triple is far too bright/dazzling for ridiing in traffic - anyone know if this is really true?

Any recommendations? Obviously want it to be robust and reliable as well as bright.

Comments

• I have an IQ Fly and have just bought an IQ Cyo (but haven't used it yet). The Fly is a great light with a good beam shape and I expect the Cyo to be as good. The Fly is a little precarious given its size and shape and I've got to be careful when parking it in bike racks. The ability to adjust the light to "full beam" is a good feature though.
    The Edelux gets good reviews. Search on this forum, there have been several other threads on this.
  • I have an IQ Fly on one bike and an Inoled Extreme on the other. The Inoled, which I have been using for 2 years now, has a very good beam pattern for town riding, with a good spread on the road, but with a reasonable amount of light spread upwards in the direction of drivers' eyes! I found that the IQ was a bit focussed on the ground with little light spilling upwards. The standlight on the Inoled lasts a long time, but is quite dim. The IQ fly is the opposite - bright and short.

I am thinking of replacing the IQ Fly with a Supernova E3 Pro.

J

(also South Manchester)
  • I have now been using the IQ Cyo for about the last month. It appears to have pretty much the same beam shape as the IQ Fly and overall it looks and feels a bit more robust. I like it and find it very good for both town and dark lane riding. Standlight is very good. The Cyo standlight turns off when the unit is off, whereas the Fly stays on even when the unit turned off. Don't know why that should be.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    The Schmidt Edelux is much the same as a Cyo 60 in practical terms, but in a waterproof and rock solid housing. It's probably a little brighter at high speed, but not enough to be able to tell without direct comparisons.