new bike or refurbish??

klix
klix Posts: 3
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
I have an old GT outpost which has been sat in my dads garage for about 8 years. The frame is fine and looks in good condition but the rest looks a bit rusted etc. Is it cheaper to just buy a new bike or is it worth getting some new parts (gears, brakes pedals etc) and refurbing it. I have no idea how much it would cost. Don't need anything special just something that would be ok to take off road a bit.

Comments

• canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    New bike.

Would cost too much for new everything.

You can get some good 2008 - 2009 bikes and good prices,

How much can you spend ?
  • klix
    klix Posts: 3
    £250 what would you recomend?
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I recently got a ful deore groupset with brakes and gears and a set of shimano factory wheels from merlin for £250 which would get u going perfectly.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Cheapest option of all would be to strip the bike down to its individual components, clean everything up and re-assemble. You might be surprised how well it runs afterward. I did the same with my old 90s Ridgeback (had been sat outside for 3 years) when I turned it into a commuter - it felt like brand new....then some scrote nicked it, but that's a different story.

Other than, that I'd say get a new bike. Check the sticky in the Buying Advice forum.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    I asked my local bike shop about fettling my old bike....

The parts alone came to £200 and it wasn't an extensive list.... rear mech, rear wheel, tyre, bottom bracket, cabling etc. plus fitting.

It was a crappy old thing that only cost me £100 new. So no... I didn't bother

As already said... clean em up and see how they go...

There's plenty of online tutorials on bike maintenance. It'll be a day of your time and a few quid in WD40, lube, grease etc... and plenty of blood sweat and tears :wink:

or look for a good 2nd hand bike.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk