Which is easier to do a bunny hop with?

Jayng
Jayng Posts: 53
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
I've been wondering, which is actually easier to do a bunny hop with. A hard tail or a full-sus. Personally, I find that it is easier with a full sus, but I haven't had the chance to try a DJ bike. I've only managed to compare an XC Merida vs a Nomad, cause I'm one of those people who only find it comfortable to jump with their own bikes.

Comments

• full sus... the lazy persons bike :):lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    easier to learn on HT but you'll get higher on a fs...

depends a lot on geometry though, short chainstays and wheelbase help a lot
  • I have to disagree and say that hardtails are easier to hop. They give you a better feel for the hop and you can get more spring into the hop and get higher.

The rear shock absorbs too much of the natural spring energy from your legs so you just can't get anywhere near the same lift on the hop.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hardtail, or even better, rigid.
    Suspension actually counteracts your hop. At least, it should do. Unless of course you purposefully set it up wrong, with loads of spring preload, and no rebound damping.
  • Jayng
    Jayng Posts: 53
    easier to learn on HT but you'll get higher on a fs...

depends a lot on geometry though, short chainstays and wheelbase help a lot

Does this mean if I want a bigger hop, I should practise on a HT? I can already do a bunny hop, but it is kind of like both tyres leaving the ground at almost the exact same time. Not the proper front up high first then the rear follows. Can't get rid of this habit somehow.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All the hop records have been done on HTs. Usually fully rigid.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    edited October 2009
    HT or rigid (think of the trials riders Like MacAskill etc.) Loading and unloading the suspension seems to take half the effort you put into the hop in my experience. Also learning to hop as you describe (front up first) will be easier on a HT because the first part is similar to learning to manual.

MBUK have a vid on youtube here if it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkiJpTkm71Y
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • I have to disagree and say that hardtails are easier to hop. They give you a better feel for the hop and you can get more spring into the hop and get higher.

The rear shock absorbs too much of the natural spring energy from your legs so you just can't get anywhere near the same lift on the hop.

+1
    Everything is far more immediate on a hardtail.
  • I learnt on a HT but I've got highest on my FS. However that was with the rebound set at ridiculous levels!
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hardtail.
    Fullsuspensons are a bit heavy at the rear so you can't lift the rear with the legs as much as you can on a hardtail. Plus as mentioned you have the suspension at the back too...
  • flamedude
    flamedude Posts: 119
    I'd say Hardtail too. It's also the bike you should learn to bunny hop on, and jump on too.
  • Hard tail - they are lighter.
  • Xtreem wrote:
    Hardtail.
    Fullsuspensons are a bit heavy at the rear so you can't lift the rear with the legs as much as you can on a hardtail. Plus as mentioned you have the suspension at the back too...
    hertswenip wrote:
    Hard tail - they are lighter.

Hardtails are not always lighter!!!!

My Dawg weighs in just under 28lbs
    My Surge weighs in well over 30lbs

Yet I can get much higher on my surge than the Dawg... Technique is far more important than getting a lighter bike... If you can't get 30cm+ on a hardtail after some good practice then your doing something wrong.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oh look, the old, ht are lighter sketch :roll:

My stumpy is lighter by a couple pounds compared to my ht.

I find it easier to bunny hop on a fs bike,
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    the question is easiest

full sus with bouncy set up-its as easy as a pogo stick

trying bunny hoping a tendem bike-now thats a challenge! :wink:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My rigid was a lot easier.

Train on a trade bike then everything becomes easy. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    A BMX :wink: Seriously, a short chainstay and compact dimensions are what you need to lift the back end up. Ona similar theme a Giant STP is looking attractive to me as a skill impovement bike.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • a trials or jump bike, similar reason as the bmx but gears gives better control over height and length of jump

what is the tandem bunny hop record- height and length? anyone know?
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    This is the highest bunnyhop record. 1.42m or 56". That's just nuts. :shock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXLXR2_1aYE

Don't know the longest.
  • Xtreem wrote:
    This is the highest bunnyhop record. 1.42m or 56". That's just nuts. :shock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXLXR2_1aYE

Don't know the longest.

Depends how fast you're going :wink:

I find it easier on a HT, but not cause its lighter :lol::lol:

I can bunnyhop high enough for trail stuff on my FS.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • I'd say HT, but I reckon there's not so much in it if you're comparing a normal sized HT to a normal size full sus. To get mega height you need a tiny bike. I ride a full sus more so it's easier on that. But I seem to remember before I had it, I got a bit more height on the HT.
    I can jump higher/further on the full sus tho, no niggling worries about 'will it survive this one?'

[edit] just notice the question was "which is easier?", not "which is higher?". Maybe easier to learn on a full sus I think. From teaching people, it seems most full sus riders pick it up a bit easier than those on HTs