What differences can I expect ???

drabfurs
drabfurs Posts: 188
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
I am fairly new to posting on here and the advice I have been given so far has been excellent. Thanks.

I started off borrowing a road bike to see if I enjoyed cycling in to work which I did. I had to give that back so I retrieved my old Marin (no suspension) MTB its about 10 years old with block breaks etc.I have put some road tyres on it Detonators (thanks for your suggestions on this) and had a great ride in the pouring rain this morning. My ride is 8 miles each way. I prefer the MTB compared to the road bike, although not as fast i like the fact I can pop up pavements etc

Im looking at possibly buying a Dimaondback Axis (as mentioned on my first ever post) and through your advice have been told its a great bike for the price.

Therefore my question is what differences can I expect from this bike on road compared to the old Marin, as the spec is much higher with disc brakes? Or will I only notice a difference off road?

Thanks

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    The geometry will prob be different to ur old marin which will instantly feel different then theres the fact the newer frame and components will prob be much lighter and function slicker than the old kit all of which u will notice instantly in terms of acceleration and speed/agility.

The biggest difference though will be the disc brakes, at first they will seem rubbish compared to ur old brakes and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about but after a couple weeks or so when the pads and discs have bedded themselves in the difference wil be phenominal and you'll be able to stop on a six pence, one fingered!!!
  • You'll go right over the bars if you're not careful! :wink:

Welcome to the 21st century.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    yep... hydraulic brakes... amazing compared to my old V brakes. I lent my bike to my brother and he was staggered with the difference between mine and his. Plus a proper suspension fork rather the pogo stick my old one came with :lol:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk