Horwich CC cyclocross race today

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
edited October 2009 in Amateur race
My first ever cross race, my 6th time off road since I was 11. Loved it loved it loved it. Hard though jeez. Unlike TTs, there was no time for negative self-talk, too much to do. Yeahhhhhh.

That is all.

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Andy, I'm interested in trying this too - how did you find out about the ride? what bike did you use? (I've got a mtb or I could tart up an old road bike?) Just not sure where to start with it all.
    Cheers
    Karen
  • AndyRubio
    Hi Karen,

There are races every weekend it seems - try here for starters. The events themselves are very jolly, and there are plenty of opportunities for loved ones to watch because you're doing laps around a park.

Bike-wise, a MTB is fine but a cyclocross bike is lighter so easier up the hills. Loads of people on mountain bikes in yesterday's race.

We do cross training every week usually in that area at the back of Chorlton that runs along the Mersey - a very friendly sesh where we practice riding arond trees and bombing along on wet grass. Mick who's our cross expert also trains us on jumping off and back on again. Keep an eye on this thread to see when and where.

It's great fun and there's no danger of bein hit by a car which is a big plus especially in winter.

Hope to see you at an event soon.

Andy
  • popette
    Thanks for the info Andy - I like the sound of your training session. I'll try to come along to one of those before an event I think.
    Just been watching you on the plinth! I love it.
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    A cross bike is much faster but if you don't have one then a mountain bike is fine. I raced on a mountain bike at the Horwich race and while I would have been a lot quicker on a cross bike, a mountain bike still gives you a good feel for the effect and suffering involved.
    A good thing about cross is that no matter how slow you are, there always seems to be someone to race. You don't need to be worried about being dropped or anything, and after a few laps you can soon lose track of where you are.

Glad you enjoyed the Horwich event, never one is the 29th Nov...
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    As a bit of a compromise you can stick some skinny 26" cross tyres on your mountain bike wheels, that speeds things up a bit without the outlay of a cross bike. That's how I raced at the Horwich Cross (but yes, still not as quick as cross bike)
  • popette
    as an alternative, could i put some knobblier tyres on an old road bike? What's the difference between a cross and a normal road bike. If I did it on MTB, would I "turn off" the suspension (if that is possible on my bike)? (probably stupid question)
    What shoes do you wear?
    I saw your tweet Andy about a ride this weekend near the velodrome. I might give it a go.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Yes you could - the main difference is that cross bikes have more tyre clearance to allow for the larger tyres and mud. They usually have old style cantilever brakes on as well as they give more mud clearance too. Cable routing is usually along the top of the top tube so if you have to shoulder the bike you're not catching the cables. Chainsets usually have smaller chainrings than a road bike (say 48/34 instead of 53/39) although people can get away with 50/34 compacts

Up to you if you locked out the suspension on your mtb - I had an old bike with rigid forks so not an issue.

Shoes - most people use mtb style clipless pedals and shoes (shimano SPD, Crank bros egg beaters etc) as the shoes have grips on for any pushing / carrying up banks / wading through mud sections :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    I've used a road bike with cross tyres in the past but it isn't adviseable on a muddy course as the lack of clearance means the wheels get clogged up and jammed. Equally I have used an MTB and back in the 90's most of the races in my area (South Wales) turned more into short MTB circuits rather than a cross circuit (i.e. you could stay riding the bike pretty much all the way around if you could cope with the hills). I eventually converted a winter training bike by having cantilever bosses brazed on, putting a wider ration cassette on the back, fitting a cheap small chainring and adding bar end gear levers and it was great for all but the muddiest of courses.

These days with a lot of bikes having compact chainsets and a wider range of rear gears due to 9 / 10 speed systems plus STI gear levers then providing the bike had a decent clearance the only adaptation that would be a real benefit would be converting to cantilever brakes but before going to any expense try a few on the MTB you'll be fine. If you enjoy it though you will probably want to upgrade to a cross bike at some point.

For your feet either use MTB clipless pedals and shoes or good, old fashioned toe clips with trainers / walking boots, just don't use road bike clipless systems as you have to run a bit and the cleats clog up (as I once found out :oops: ).

Cross is pretty much an informal affair and you can get away with all sorts of bike or clothing although some people do take it seriously enough to turn up with a couple of bikes and a mate to act as a mechanic and will swap every few laps.
  • AndyRubio
    popette wrote:
    I saw your tweet Andy about a ride this weekend near the velodrome. I might give it a go.
    Do it! Details here. Best get there at least an hour early so you can ride a lap of the course before the start.
  • popette
    AndyRubio wrote:
    popette wrote:
    Do it! Details here. Best get there at least an hour early so you can ride a lap of the course before the start.

Just seen my other half is watching the grand final on that day so I'll need to get a babysitter. Approx how long does it take to finish the race? I'll need to buy shoes before then as well - haven't got any of those kind of shoes. My speedplays would be crap! :lol: I was also wondering about how much running I'll have to do - I haven't gone for a run since I started cycling.

Thanks for all your information guys - sorry to hijack the thread Andy :-)
  • AndyRubio
    popette wrote:
    Approx how long does it take to finish the race?
    Last Sunday I was racing for about an hour. I think this is the norm.
    popette wrote:
    I was also wondering about how much running I'll have to do
    Only a few steps, nothing to worry about. I pushed my bike up a muddy, gooey hilly bit simply cos the wheels wouldn't turn and in reality I only walked it. Not much at all.
  • popette
    Right, got my babysitter booked, got some shoes (very flash - Scott Carbon MTB shoes - bargain £160 reduced to £89 - the only advantage of size 12 feet!!). I wasn't sure on the tyres though and might just stick with what I've got (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Maxxi ... 360030029/) - if you have any recommendations, that would be great.
    I'm not sure how I'm going to drink - don't want to drink from a bottle covered in mud. But it's only an hour so maybe I'll be ok. Do they have any drinks provided on the course anywhere?

A bit nervous as it's completely new but really looking forward to it.

By the way, should I wear my nice helmet or my sh!t helmet? will it get caked in mud?
  • AndyRubio
    I did last week's with a normal roadie bottle in the normal roadie place on the downtube, was fine, seemed to be a lot of people doing likewise. TBH I didn't have much of a chance to drink. A guy in a our club tucks a small bottle down the back of his shorts... but maybe that just how he *likes it* ...

No drinks provided on the course AFAIK.

Rain tonight so it might well be a mudfest - your ahem sh!t helmet should be fine.

It's gonna be a hoot!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    can you enter on the day or is it all in advance?
  • AndyRubio
    Enter on the day!

It's all good.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Cool
    Just got a CX and fancy having a go at a few races
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Me too! Got my cx built up this week, so dying to try it out. There's a race at Hemel on Sunday. Anyone else doing it?