Forest of Dean

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Looking to go for a holiday next summer but can't fit bike in/on car so was wondering if anyone knew about cycle hire ie where, what bikes?

Also what is there to ride, is it singletrack and trails? Red,black or blue ? etc

Cheers :D

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Info on the website in my sig below.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • give me a pm mate when your thinking of coming down to the forest, ive lived here now over 18 years. i came down from worsley in manchester to work here and never left. the biking here is great, bike trails single track down hills and up hills red routes and black routes there isnt a trail i dont know round here., you name it the forest of dean has it. you can also hire bikes from peddleabikeaway in the forest.they hire out trek bikes.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    did I miss something?....the red route was top but its only like 3miles long!
    starsky...where else you head out from there? all other routes seemed er Family type!
  • plenty of single track all over the forest. i do 20, 30 and some time forty miles a day on single track all over the area in and around the forest.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    cheers starsky...will have to venture off next time i go....and not got my bro tagging along !
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I've been a couple of times and there's some sweet forest singletrack over there. I reckon you need a guide with a bit of local knowledge to get the best out of it though.
  • pop over any time your around the forest, i will be glad to show you around some good single track in the area. :D
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • compo wrote:
    Looking to go for a holiday next summer but can't fit bike in/on car so was wondering if anyone knew about cycle hire ie where, what bikes?

Also what is there to ride, is it singletrack and trails? Red,black or blue ? etc

Cheers :D

There's cycle hire available at Cannop Cycle Centre - Pedalabikeaway

And some good rides listed here - Rides from Parkend, but stacks more good singletack around too.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    cool guys :D
    does anyone know what type of treks they have and where i can get hold of a trail map
    Cheers :lol:
  • you can get a trail map from same place you hire the treks from, pedalabikeaway. i think they are 3 pound. not sure what kind the treks are all i know is they got them new in, this year. alot of the single track is shown on the map but not all of them.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    compo wrote:
    cool guys :D
    does anyone know what type of treks they have and where i can get hold of a trail map
    Cheers :lol:

They looked like fairly basic hardtails when I was there last.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i went and did two laps of the enduro course last week-the markings have all been taken down now, but there is loads of good riding around there to be done if your not botherd about getting lost

im going to go back up there again before it gets too boggy and get lost again :lol:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337