Must Be Mad ! Night Riding

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Last Thursday we went out for our first night time ride :shock: My god what an experience

We had done a little bit of research with respect to light and cobbled together a set each along with head torches.

So off we goes, blimey oh riley it is so much more demanding ! You can hardly see where the trail goes and then all of a sudden there is a drop you did not know that was coming.

Great session, would recommend to anyone 8)

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Really makes a difference dunt it boring trails that you have ridden a gazillion times suddenly have drops and turns you never noticed before
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I found I ride my regular trails an awful lot quicker, night riding is the mutts nuts.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like night riding... really focuses you. Depends on your lights of course, I've done it with rotten lights and now I've got pretty damn good ones. Both have their merits though, these days if I'm riding at night it's only because I can't get a daytime ride in, but other times I've really liked the "not enough light" feeling, it can be great.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    It's got to the point for me when it just feels normal as the days get shorter. I do still enjoy the difference though. Good lights are a must though.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    It was hillarious !

I did notice you have to pedal a lot more, as you cannot get a run up going down to go up the other side.
  • mongoosed
    mongoosed Posts: 315
    I love biking at night,especially those cold clear nights,it's really good fun.
  • I night ride on my own at midnight after work in the forest of dean. its a bit spooky when you cant see whats making funny noises around you and then you spot a great big wild boar looking at you just makes you pedal a hell of a lot quicker. :D
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    starsky007 wrote:
    .... you spot a great big wild boar looking at you just makes you pedal a hell of a lot quicker. :D

Seriously!? I would sh*t myself if I saw a bore.

I got some light & motions a while back but I don't use them as much as I should. I think it's great riding on fireroads but I've never had the balls to take it off-road i.e. on dirt track with roots, drop-offs etc....

What kind of terrain are you guys night riding on?
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • Night riding is wicked, i usually ride alone at night after work into wyre forest, or the local downhill tracks. I have a set of Ay-Ups on the helmet and the handlebars which helps a great deal esp when your climbing and also when looking out for the rustle in the trees. I highly recommend a quality helmet light, i used a home made handlebar light for so long and although it was more than adequate, dual lights open up a whole lot more!!

BTW i do cack myself on the downhill tracks in the dark. Its a combination of very fast tight singletrack and wierd noises rustling around you lol.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I love night riding :D

I know people who find it a lot easier because they don't get so freaked out by technical bits - they just ride over most of them without over-thinking it!

And Hello fatwomble (I can't imagine there at 2 FW's..... :shock: ) :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    miss notax wrote:
    I know people who find it a lot easier because they don't get so freaked out by technical bits - they just ride over most of them without over-thinking it!
    Exactly. My weakness is over-analysing everything on the trail ahead. In the dark I can't see it so I just sit back and let the bike sort it out.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Whilst we're on the subject - can I confirm that lights are a definite necessity....... :wink:

My OH's lights broke whilst riding in the forest (mine were ok) and trying to ride off road with only one light between us was maddening - especially as he knew the way back and I didn't. Lots of comedy 'no, not that way, this way...' looming out of the darkness. Very helpful when you can't see the other person (not) :roll:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Night riding is awesome, however I have a pretty good front light (hope vision 2) which is great on straights, but I'm finding I definitely need a helmet light as well for sharper corners (bar mounted lights only point where the bike is heading!) Still had great fun thought! The white chalky trails in the south downs really change and bump and rut perception goes to pot which can make picking lines pretty entertaining - also have to be on the lookout for kamikaze rabbits!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    You should see the speed we ride with Bigfoot Bikes, the ride is led by a guy named Sparky - ex army apparentally and absolutely stark raving mad!
  • flamedude
    flamedude Posts: 119
    I'm working my way up to riding the north shore in the dark...... Just thinking about it scares the hell out of me, can't wait!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    just did my first (short) night ride tonight with one of these,

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cat ... t-ec007944

:shock: not good!!!

think i know what the next upgrade will be! :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sorry to break the news to you, but Cateye are overpriced, poorly designed, poorly performing, have spontaneously disintegrating mounts and have zero warranty support from Zyro!

You need a P7 light, see the "What Lights" thread. For about the same price it will be about 20 times brighter.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    alfablue wrote:
    Sorry to break the news to you, but Cateye are overpriced, poorly designed, poorly performing, have spontaneously disintegrating mounts and have zero warranty support from Zyro!

You need a P7 light, see the "What Lights" thread. For about the same price it will be about 20 times brighter.

had the light for over a year and it's been fine going to and from work, but just had to go out tonight (bored sat in the house) and i guess i need the right bit of kit for the job :lol:

looked at the hope lights a while ago in my LBS but there well expensive!!!!! :shock:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    for me it was great... until owls strted making noise right above me haha....

very odd....

but loved it and gonna go again :)
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • I've been night riding for a couple of years now, unless its sunny, dusty and dry I much prefer riding in the dark.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    I agree i done my first night ride in wyre forest with some others and they kindly lent me a bar mounted light and helm light was 3 hr ride in dark and i was knacked at end off it but was brill so different than in day the trails / descent corners ect so different hopeing todo it agian very soon.

So some you guys ride after work around midnight cool so thats the strange reports of odd lights and weird noises coming from the woods :D
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • .blitz
    Capt Yeti wrote:
    So some you guys ride after work around midnight cool so thats the strange reports of odd lights and weird noises coming from the woods
    Best time to go. The other night I was just rolling down a hill and as I rounded a corner, I noticed a ball of blue light floating silently up the hill towards me.

It was a big (20+) group of riders, most of them with a couple of handlebar lights and helmet lights. It was like something out of Close Encounters 8)
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    I've been night riding for a couple of years now, unless its sunny, dusty and dry I much prefer riding in the dark.

Yes I am coming to that conslusion, also seems to make you a better day rider, not that I was ever that good anyway, but definate improvement when i went out on sunday day.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Does anyone night ride on their own in woods? I`ve been thinking about it for a few months, bought a helmet torch {unused as yet} and considering another torch for the bars but I am quite sure I would be sh#tting myself continuously so I doubt i`ll ever do it.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I mainly ride on my own, but being on the pennines its exposed moorland although there are a few wooded sections.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • .blitz
    antfly wrote:
    Does anyone night ride on their own in woods?
    All the time. I live right on the edge of Cannock Chase and when it comes to riding, I traded company for freedom a long time ago. I have to go out when I can so I very often ride alone.

I stick to trails I'm familiar with but otherwise there's no difference between night and day. There are no nutters with axes, no panthers, no werewolves just other MTBrs...ships in the night an' all that.
  • sirlylos
    I've been out myself and it's scary, no two ways about it. I'm trying to convince my mate to go with the cheap 3w torch option so hopefully he'll get involved so that I can go to him for a cuddle when I get scared :wink:
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I`m hoping you`re a girl. {Not that there is anything wrong with that, if you`re not, of course}. :)
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sirlylos
    antfly wrote:
    I`m hoping you`re a girl. {Not that there is anything wrong with that, if you`re not, of course}. :)

I'm a man, with a hairy chest and everything ;)
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
  • REMF
    REMF Posts: 106
    night riding is awesome fun.

bit flakey when it gets foggy at nant-y-arian tho...........