Etape and Marmotte entry tips

I am looking to ride the Etape 2010 and probably also La Marmotte. This will be my first attempt.

Can I please have your recommendations for VIP Etape packages that offer a top 1,000 start? I am researching options.

Almost everyone I have spoken to has said "make sure you get a start in the first 1,000", as otherwise you get caught in the traffic. I'm a very experienced club and road racing cyclist currently in good shape. I've had quite a few people say to me "never again" because they got a poor start position and I really want to enjoy the experience - family commitments will mean this is likely to be my one and only attempt.

Many thanks,

A

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Marmotte - Should be no problem. Enter early. Get to the start early to be at front of pen.
    Etape - Good luck. Bit of a lottery.
    Rich
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    I went with Ronan Pensec Travel last year. He did ask what standard I was at, very good, good or average. I replied (correctly) that I was average and got a number in the mid 4,000s. Most of the people in the group I was in were in the same numbers but a few of the better cyclists did have lower numbers. Friends who went entry only got numbers in the 8,000s.

From my limited experience a number in the 4000s is ok. We crossed the start line about 20 minutes past the hour. Gave you enough of a headstart to repair an early puncture if you had to. It was busy but not manic for the first hour or two until all the faster riders had made their way through. Faster riders may have found that part of the day difficult as they made their way through us slowcoaches.

So I would suggest register now, book a package early and claim to be a very strong cyclist. I get the sense that Pensec is well in with ASO and gets a share of low numbers.

The package itself was similar to most other Etape ones, overpriced, reasonable service levels. I had good hotel, others were not so lucky.
  • I don't thik that getting an early start in the Marmotte is that important. This year my start number was in the 7000's and so I was in the last pen. I had a wait before we set off and aprt from being a lttle chilly that was no hardship. Like all sportives, your time doesn't start until you cross the mat and as soon as you do there's a wide, straight road that strings everyone out. working your way through this group would be no problem, and even when you hit the first climb at the Glandon there's room enough for an experienced cyclist to work his was through the group. Have a look on You tube - there's lots of footage that will give an idea of the 'traffic' on the road . I would certainly advise doing this irrespective of start numbers because of the amazing experience that it is. A low number is a nice to have.