Whistler without the bike park

GHill
GHill Posts: 2,402
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Took a holiday to Vancouver this last week and managed to head up to Whistler for a day. Booked a guide who took us to the Zappa trails and had some of the best riding of my life.

Rocky, rooty, slabs of rock, great views, reasonable ladder sections, lots of flow to the singletrack. For me it was perfect. Rode a Santa Cruz Blur LT and it was an ideal bike for the terrain (hire included in the guide price).

If you don't mind a bit of the more "aggressive" XC then I would recommend people try to squeeze it in if they're planning a few days at the bike park. Company was Whistler Bike Guide if anyone wants to look them up.

Comments

• Lucky Bastard :lol:

y cousin lives in Vancouver so i'm hoping to fly over next summer:)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    wat did it cost ya to hire the bike mate?
  • GHill
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    wat did it cost ya to hire the bike mate?

It was $149 (CND) for the guide for the afternoon and the bike hire. Might seem a little expensive but it's cheaper than an afternoon in the bike park.
  • GHill
    Something I forgot to mention in my first post was that we were the first people to ride a new section of trail. The guide knew the builders working on it and they said we could give it a go as they were taking a break.

As proof of the experience, the wife and I at Lost Lake, three hours into the ride (helmets came with the bike).

IMG_0497.jpg
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Was there in 1995, before all the DH trails were completed. Took the cable car to do the "Bear Cub" trail. Was fantastic.
    Guy at hire shop asked if I could stay over for the Summer guiding, as they were so busy.
    Was really, really tempted!!!
    Saw a chopper carrying a bear in a net that they had tranquilised...