French Begin Re-Testing 2008 Tour Samples

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited October 2009 in Pro race
More sleepless nights for our fearless warriors of the road.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 26hs%3DGaN

Can't get the actual article to translate.
Click on the cycling link at the bottom of the page, in the headlines.
Pierre Bordry....the fearless anti-doping crusader.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Does it not say that they are now starting the re-testing? :?
    Sure, it was announced they were going to, back in July.....
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    if this

http://www.laola1.at/395+M5033bf31680.html

is the article we are talking about, it contains nothing new. it just says that according to a rumour going around, they will start testing now. but there is no source mentioned and i could not find any aritcle on this subject elsewhere. even l'Equipe does not mention it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Here we go fans, from Cyclingnews

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/afld-be ... g-controls

This could be very very messy
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    here it is. and they even name names:

http://kurier.at/sport/1943917.php

iainf you're right. these could really get very messy.
  • Well, I did try to tell you all.....
    We need a translation, so here's googlespeak's:-
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... n&ie=UTF-8

Messy is the word....
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Brad might come to REALLY regret that mechanical at the world's, given who podiumed...

Strava is not Zen.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    40 names! Wow :?
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Amongst the 40 are:
    Menchov, Cancellara, F Schleck, Evans, O’Grady, Kirchen, Valjavec.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Is anyone really surprised that Sparticus is on that list, along with a pile of Saxobank riders?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    If Evans gets fingered then I guess we can assume anyone who gets neara GT podium is (still) dirty.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    We'll see what happens, it's one thing to test 40 riders... it's another thing if 40 come back positive.

But if some big names are caught it will be another big blow. Unlike Puerto or the Austrian clinic tales, this could involve actual positives. It could hit riders, teams and scare sponsors.
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    We'll see what happens, it's one thing to test 40 riders... it's another thing if 40 come back positive.

But if some big names are caught it will be another big blow. Unlike Puerto or the Austrian clinic tales, this could involve actual positives. It could hit riders, teams and scare sponsors.

Didn't Bordry say something along the lines of he knows 15 of them were using an EPO variant?
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Amongst the 40 are:
    Menchov, Cancellara, F Schleck, Evans, O’Grady, Kirchen, Valjavec.

The article doesn't mention Menchov or Evans. What is your source?
  • Kléber
    Verdry showed him a starting list from the 2008 Tour with about 40 names marked on it, with those riders being under suspicion of doping.

“When I saw this list, I was beside myself,” Kohl said. Verdry confirmed the meeting. “Yes, I showed him the list.”

AFLD director Pierre Bordry said that “Before the start of this year's Tour in Monaco, we informed about 15 riders that they samples from 2008 would be re-analysed. We expect to be able to announce the results within one to two weeks.”
    The AFLD (and seperately the Lausanne lab) know who has been using certain products but because the testing is not validated or the gels don't reveal a conclusive enough positive to proceed any further they can only watch and provide intelligence so far.

But we'll see where this leads, if it generates 15 positives from 2008 that will be a big deal.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited October 2009
    Not starting another thread.
    Now, it's Gerdemann in the German media spotlight for "suspicious" values, back in '06.
    It never rains, but pours....
    http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_59780.htm
    Now on cyclingnews.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gerdemann-denies-doping
  • iainf72
    I always said Linus shouldn't be trusted

:wink:
  • Kléber
    edited October 2009
    Apparently his haemoglobin varied between 14.2 and 17.2 g/litre for the first six months of 2006 according to documents from Freiburg University.

You can compare this reported fluctuation with Wiggins if it helps.

A high haemoglobin count can be a sign of EPO use but it can also be attributed to other factors. But any score >17g/l is noted by the UCI and makes very loud alarm bells ring, as loudly as a 50% haematocrit. In fact it can set off the same internal monitoring / required rest procedures. Not proof of doping but it needs a big explanation.

It would help to know if this was a one-off number or if Angle Face recorded such a high level on more than one occasion.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Nyeh. About time Luigi got busted.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I thought Mr G was the pin up of clean cycling, volunteering to end his relationship with the dodgy doctor once he had heard the rumours?? :wink:

You lot are all so cynical :lol:
  • zacha
    zacha Posts: 4
    If any of my cycling idols test positive, it must be a lab error or some anti-(fill-in-the-blank) conspiracy...
  • iainf72
    I've just read the results will emerge from Wednesday with some 'bombshells'
  • Roll on Wednesday then...although how many times have we expected results, which have never been forthcoming.

Did you ready that anywhere reliable Iain?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Cadel seemed pretty relaxed in twitter. IMO he is clean. even though I have heard from a top British rider's good friend-well placed Brit rider, top 10 in very big races in the UK in the years and who spent winters in Oz that it is an open secret that two of them in the big league have used. Not sick rogers
  • iainf72

The internetz

:lol:

It might be the AFLD are doing some other report on Wednesday and a German reporter has got overly excited. The other thing doing the rounds (again) is one big PT team are very affected.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:

The internetz

:lol:

It might be the AFLD are doing some other report on Wednesday and a German reporter has got overly excited. The other thing doing the rounds (again) is one big PT team are very affected.

I said CE clean, part of me fears he and an old pro from same plce will be dead in the water soon
  • iainf72
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I said CE clean, part of me fears he and an old pro from same plce will be dead in the water soon

I've heard people in the know generally say he's clean.

Anyway, when you combine the retesting with the criticism of the UCI, the AFLD must nab some people in the next couple of weeks or they could look very foolish indeed.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

I've heard people in the know generally say he's clean.

Anyway, when you combine the retesting with the criticism of the UCI, the AFLD must nab some people in the next couple of weeks or they could look very foolish indeed.

Indeed. Tom Boonen, for one, specifically mentioned him as proof you could excel in the Tour clean. And I'm sure QS and SL know each other pretty well.

He's the person I'd be most disappointed in if he turned up dirty - more than Cav or Wiggins.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Now Gerdemann faces the Milram music:-
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gerdema ... d-opinions
    Freiburg investigators not digging, though.