V Brakes to Disc Brakes

matt748
matt748 Posts: 194
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,
A friend of mine wants to upgrade her V Brakes on her Scott to Disc Brakes. (She has the mounts for discs)
What set up should she go for? Mechanical or hydraulic?
Which brakes? Avid Juicy 3s seem good value and get good write ups.
Is it an expensive conversion to do in terms of labour etc?

Many thanks in advance.
Matt

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
My Pics

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    matt748 wrote:
    (She has the mounts for discs)

On the frame/forks and wheels, or just the frame?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I converted my Jamis... first I had to get new wheels, £60 off ebay (these aren't particularly good and are now being replaced), then I got a hydraulic brake set (Shimano disks and calipers, can't remember the price).

Take off the old brakes, to get the levers off take the grips off too (cost in replacement).

Trimming the rear brake line meant I had to get a bleeding kit from Shimano too. Shortening the lines not to bad once you realise what all the bits are for. Getting the right caliper spacers was an issue too, a few orders from Wiggle later all was in place. Bleeding it easy enough - make sure you pump a whole lot of fluid all the way though the system and don't let the reservoir run dry.

Don't be tempted to bodge it. All your bolts should be thread locked, don't leave masses of cable hanging off the bike and don't ride with unbled brakes.

It it worth it? I was initially skeptical that my brakes were any better, on a long descent or a wet day then, yes, disks make the difference. But that's a lot of cash and effort.

There must be pages of rim brakes vs mechanical disk brakes vs hydraulic rim brake debates (and my mate's got hydraulic rim brakes that seem pretty cool).

I only changed mine as I was taking my bike to a downhill centre for a week. The brakes were just about up to it but the rest of the bike wasn't. TBH if you're not planning on changing the type of riding you do then I wouldn't bother.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Go for some Formula Oro K18 imo.

Does she have disc compatible hubs? If not you're probably looking at a new wheel set, which could make things pricey. Rotors are normally 6 bolt mounted, but there's also a Shimano centre lock system.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    redvee is right, if she doesn't have disc mounts on the hubs then I would say that it's not worth it.

wiggle do the deore disc kit for about 90 quid and add about 100 to 150 for new wheels, and this is the budget option - that's a chunk of money that you could put towards either your next bike or going somewhere cool to go and ride

how new is the bike? if the wheels and rims need replacing then maybe it's worth the jump, ify ou were going to have a self build as your next bike you could transfer your wheel and brakes onto the next bike
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    redvee wrote:
    matt748 wrote:
    (She has the mounts for discs)

On the frame/forks and wheels, or just the frame?

I'll have to check with her. Definitely on the forks. If it's just the forks it's going to get pricey innit.
    Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

Matt

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Some bikes also have combined brake / gear levers (Shimano EF50 or simalar). If she has these levers and wants to go hydraulic, also add the cost of a set of shifters. EF50 work fine with mech disks, even though they say 'V BRAKE' on them. You'll need a longer front cable though.