From what age in a trailer?

Special K
Special K Posts: 449
edited November 2009 in Family & kids cycling forum
From what age are you putting your kids in a trailer. Alternatively, what developmental stage (e.g. sitting, crawling, walking) or what weight?

Advice much appreciated from experienced parents, thank you!

:)
"There are holes in the sky,
Where the rain gets in.
But they're ever so small
That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    The little ones need to be sitting upright and holding their heads up (with a helmet on). It's best not to push it, obviously, so 1 year + - I think my trailer even suggests 18 months minimum.
  • Hi,
    I'm in the same boat...can't wait to get mine out on the bike.

I've got a child seat and a 9 month old... she's crawling about and can stand up by herself now. She sits in highchairs and I can walk about with her on my shoulders....

I'd be happy to get her in the child seat, but the only thing holding me back is her head's too small for a helmet. The smallest I've found is a 46 cm, and that's a bit too loose for her at the moment.

The weather's not great now, so I'll probably hold off until the spring next year.
  • Special K
    mr_si wrote:
    The little ones need to be sitting upright and holding their heads up (with a helmet on). It's best not to push it, obviously, so 1 year + - I think my trailer even suggests 18 months minimum.

Makes sense, good advice thank you.
    Where the rain gets in.
  • spdpug98
    spdpug98 Posts: 112
    We've had both of our kids in a trailer from almost 6 weeks old, we bought a 2 seater (side by side) trailer and used to leave the kids in the car seat and strap that into the trailer (facing forwards)

Once they got to 9/12 months old we moved them onto seats (once they could sit up), they are now nearly 3 yrs and 17 months old and both are very happy on seats and happy to wear helmets
  • Special K
    :lol:

that's very cute and makes sense too, after all, they're fine in a car seat in a car.

Thank you!
    Where the rain gets in.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    As soon as you're old enough to get an HGV licence
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • mr_si wrote:

Nailed it right here. Definitely over a year to be safe.
  • I took my daughter out when she was about 3 or 4 months old in the trailer. She did have her big brother (who was 2yrs6mnths at the time) sitting next to her to look after her!
  • put ours in trailer in car seat until about 9 months or so.
    Basically until they can hold their head steady.

Then in trailer (usually with a neck brace, because they fall asleep quickly) with a helmet. Get them used to helmet at an early age...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire