What do you wear?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2009 in MTB general
While riding...

Whatever the weather I wear some hard wearing casual shorts and a rugby top.

I'm not bothered about my shorts, but what else could I wear up top?
The rugby top is fine, keeps me warm if its wet... cool enough if its hot... its just its a bit heavy.

I've been looking at loose mtb specific tops but they all look a bit poo/are stupidly expensive!

Also, my bro's is sooo thin that it'd just rip to shreds if he stacked it!!

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I personally ride in some dedicated bike shorts, some TLD moto shorts..

And normally just a normal Tee on the top. If it's getting cold/windy/wet then i chuck on a waterproof too, but it gets sweaty with a waterproof.

I also own a proper jersey for when i'm wearing my dainese torso body armour.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i wear troy lee moto shorts and a T-shirt in any weather unless its very cold when i'll put a hoody on first

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • I've got a few rugby tops, I also have a couple of American Football tops. Only really work in warmer weather though.

I have some base layers (long and short sleeve) too.

That's about it really. I Have a lightweight windproof and a couple of waterproof jackets and that sees me through all seasons just by mixing and matching to suit conditions.

Shorts wise, just some baggy fairly tough shorts do me fine. I do have some Altura waterproof 3/4s for when it's REALLY bad weather, I wear them with some 3/4 thermal bib tights.
  • hmm maybe i'm not alone then... Don't really like the MTB specific clothing if i'm honest.

The fox stuff is pretty sweet, but its blody expensive :(
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Rugby top over one of those technical t-shirts, casual shorts over the top of my padded lycra ones (not a pretty sight). Always seem right no matter the weather, never too hot and if it gets cold - pedal faster.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Don't want to go into a full list, but plenty of specialized, fox, endura, 661, a pair of trek lycra shorts, and a northwave lycra top make up my collection. Plus a few other bits and pieces.
  • Rugby tops. Cotton? Do you want hypothermia? Or do your rides never last more than an hour in forests? Do you know nothing about the effect that cold wet clothing can have on your body? Ever heard of Hypothermia? Never had it? That's one of the symptoms - believing that you are alright.

Students???? Do some research into the effects of cold wet clothing on body temperature. Then ditch your rugby tops, and your jeans.
    Frank Yates
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Usually just a normal pair of baggy shorts and either a hoody or lightweight waterproof jacket, depending on the weather. Not been MTBing for very long, but so far I've not really felt the need for cycle/MTB specific clothing. Maybe these lovely Scottish winters will change my mind... :lol:
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    some raceface shorts or similar and usually a normal t-shirt and hoodie between trails. i have a few downhill jerseys but unless its really wet they only come out on special occasions
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My normal kit is a pair of long shorts, just enough to cover my knees when i'm pedalling, and a long sleeved football shirt. They do the same job as the bike specific stuff, but I already own them, and they're cheaper! I wear a fitted baselayer if its cold, and an Altura wind/waterproof if it's colder still. Wear padded shorts under the baggies though, and a pair of trail/walking shoes.

I already owned plenty of sports kit, mainly for football, so I would find it impossible to ride in jeans, cotton t-shirts, hoody etc.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Technical clothing can cause hypothermia just as easy as wet clothing if sweat isn't wicked away from the body quickly. A body that is allowed to go from hot to cold rapidily will get hypothermia quicker than a wet body that cools from a slower from a lower exercising temperature.
  • Rugby tops. Cotton? Do you want hypothermia? Or do your rides never last more than an hour in forests? Do you know nothing about the effect that cold wet clothing can have on your body? Ever heard of Hypothermia? Never had it? That's one of the symptoms - believing that you are alright.

Students???? Do some research into the effects of cold wet clothing on body temperature. Then ditch your rugby tops, and your jeans.

dunno bout that.... I still wear shots t-shirts and flip flops in winter :D
    MTFU lmao!

Also played rugby throughout winter in 7's and tournaments that could last all day... never got hypothermia!
    May well be because i'm an un naturally hot person... for me to feel the cold, its gotta be cooooooolllld!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Depends how you ride - normally windchill is a big problem - rugby kit would be crap for 100 mile road rides - but could work out fine for shorter rides thru forests.
  • flamedude
    flamedude Posts: 119
    Always shorts and t-shirt. I'm liking Dakine shorts at the moment with their little zip coolers. With either a zipped hoody or waterproof if the weather requires it.

I always struggle with overheating though, and my camelbak doesn't help (despite its fancy air cooling gimmick) which always roasts my back.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    My list for every ride is as follows:

Spesh Helmet
    Spesh SPDs
    Odlo Ski Top (Bright Orange)
    Madison Shorts

Keeps me warm during the harshest Winters and cool during the hottest Summers!
    :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shorts over padded cycle shorts and just any old cheap sports or ski top. I don't go for branded MTB stuff and don't see the point in wearing stuff with sponsors all over unless I'm in a race (and I don't race). And skin tight stuff on show on blokes should be outlawed in my opinion :D

Light rain thing to stick on for rainy days.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Got a couple of fox ss jerseys (the more subtle ones- not too keen on the lairy DH ones) they breath well and are really easy to wash and get dry again. My brother kindly brought me back a few Under Armour Training tops when he was in the states, not sure how much they cost over here, but They're great, slightly thicker than Fox, good for under a hoody/waterproof.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Oakley or Endura Humvee 3/4 length padded mtb shorts,Altura base layer,normally a windproof gilet,Spesh gloves.Add other layers if needed,sometimes add knee warmers and a long sleeve top in winter.Only wear a waterproof if its properly chucking it down.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    dunno bout that.... I still wear shots t-shirts and flip flops in winter.

May well be because i'm an un naturally hot person... for me to feel the cold, its gotta be cooooooolllld!

Well you know what they say - no sense, no feeling...

Seriously, cotton is NOT good for cold/wet/windy, especially when you're out in the sticks. I don't care if you've never had hypothermia playing rugby, if you carry on like this you WILL get it at some stage. The problem with cotton is that when it gets wet, it retains moisture, it's heavy and it clings to you. Polycotton is better (mix of cotton and polyester, like combat pants) but it still isn't ideal. At least on a rugby pitch you get to have a cuddle with your big girly mates to warm up or all get nekkid and jump in a hot bath together... :roll:

You need something lightweight and warm that will wick sweat away but not be restrictive. I absolutely swear by Under Armour Cold Gear tops for winter use, with a micro-fleece mid layer and a loose, lightweight jersey on top of that - my jerseys are a Troy Lee Moto (£24.99 off Fleabay), a Sombrio Clutch (£17.99 from Wiggle) and an Aldi special (£6.99). One of THESE would be ideal for yopu and not break the bank.

A lightweight waterproof in your pack will be enough to give you a bit extra warmth out on the hills unless the weather really gets sh!tty.

As far as your bottom half is concerned, don't forget that your femoral arteries run up the inside of your thights - these are one of the main "cooling ducts" for your body. Ever started feeling short of breath if you've waded into cold water up to your waist? That's why. If your legs get wet and cold then your on the short track to hypothermia whether you like it or not.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I wear cheap lycra padded shorts with baggy casual shorts over the top,I wear a cheap DHB cycle top,Gloves and Shimano shoes .
  • Well you know what they say - no sense, no feeling...

Seriously, cotton is NOT good for cold/wet/windy, especially when you're out in the sticks. I don't care if you've never had hypothermia playing rugby, if you carry on like this you WILL get it at some stage. The problem with cotton is that when it gets wet, it retains moisture, it's heavy and it clings to you. Polycotton is better (mix of cotton and polyester, like combat pants) but it still isn't ideal. At least on a rugby pitch you get to have a cuddle with your big girly mates to warm up or all get nekkid and jump in a hot bath together...

You need something lightweight and warm that will wick sweat away but not be restrictive. I absolutely swear by Under Armour Cold Gear tops for winter use, with a micro-fleece mid layer and a loose, lightweight jersey on top of that - my jerseys are a Troy Lee Moto (£24.99 off Fleabay), a Sombrio Clutch (£17.99 from Wiggle) and an Aldi special (£6.99). One of THESE would be ideal for yopu and not break the bank.

A lightweight waterproof in your pack will be enough to give you a bit extra warmth out on the hills unless the weather really gets sh!tty.

As far as your bottom half is concerned, don't forget that your femoral arteries run up the inside of your thights - these are one of the main "cooling ducts" for your body. Ever started feeling short of breath if you've waded into cold water up to your waist? That's why. If your legs get wet and cold then your on the short track to hypothermia whether you like it or not.

For once I have to totally agree with Mr Slade! Cotton is good for towels and shirts; it has little place in outdoor activiities.
    Frank Yates
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For once I have to totally agree with Mr Slade! Cotton is good for towels and shirts; it has little place in outdoor activiities.
    As any skiier/boarder will tell you also. If it's not so warm I'll use my ski tops for biking anyway. In warm summer I just go with a "dry fit" style of sports t-shirt.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I sometimes wear a pair of jeans and a rugby top for short blasts over the local terrain. Not when it is raining. But works well for just farting about for an hour.

But usually I wear a layered system of wicking tops, fleeces and lightweight waterproofs depending on conditions.
  • mainly a thong but if its hot suntan lotion too. :lol: (not really).
    one life live it!
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    cotton or anything that retians moisture is fine if your constantly on the go, but if you have to stop for a repair you can get very cold very quick especially in open ground - look up exposure (bet google throws up some right odd stuff as well)

Aldi do bike specific moisture wicking cloths and they are dirt cheap, theit tops are £6-99,

I carry a spare top in my bag too so if we have a stop I can change into some thing dry
  • geeeezus h christ. You lot are fuck*ng anchient!

I haven't seen a cotton rugby top for bloody years! :shock:

Guess you've never herd of Evaporex fabric?
    "It is polyester thermal mix designed to wick away perspiration creating the ideal body climate. The high-wicking Evaporex fabric helps keep you dry and comfortable".

I've had quite a few of them over the years, they're awesome atkeeping the moisture out, and on a wetday they keep you warm too.
  • A mountain rescue chap I had the misfortune of calling upon once gave me this sage advice.

Cotton + Exercise + Cold (and or wet) = trouble.
    Nudity + (cold / wet) = trouble but more interesting for the rescue guys!

Fashion doesnt come into it - imo. Except skin coloured lycra. Or looking like you belong from the front page of MBUK - unless you're from MBUK of course.

So basically - no cotton unless you're close to home.
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Endura Humvee shorts and liner and a Royal Argyle LS jersey. DHB lightweight jacket over the top if its cold or wet.

Need to get a base layer for the colder months me thinks.