How do i work XT Servo wave discs???

paulscutt
paulscutt Posts: 332
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Yep, i've searched but cant find anything!
Just got a new bike and it has XT servo wave hydro disc brakes on it - i understand they change the bite point from the lever? but how do i do this as dont think the bike came with an instruction manual for the brakes??

thanks guys!!
**2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think 'servo-wave' is a Shimano technology where the first part of the lever stroke moves the pads more than the second half of the stroke. So the first half of the lever stroke moves the pads a long way, but with not much force, and the second half doesnt move them far, but the movement is more powerful.

It basically means there is a wider gap between the pad and the disc when the brakes aren't on, but this gap is quickly closed when you press the lever. I don't think it actually changes the pad contact point.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • paulscutt
    paulscutt Posts: 332
    ah right ok, thanks for that - how do i go about changing the adjustment? i like my brakes to come on quite quickly into the lever stroke...
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • bails87
    Not a clue, I don't know if you can! Wait for someone who's got them to appear
    MTB/CX

• There's a Phillips head screw at the bottom of the black-coloured body of the brake lever - just above where it says "Shimano" in white.

Screw it in / out for more / less travel in the lever before brake force is applied!
    Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing
  • bails87
    Sorry, was under the impression that the OP thought that the servo-wave itself was a mechanism for adjusting bite point :oops:

My post was probably a bit useless!
    MTB/CX

• don't expect it to do much though :wink:
  • Both sets of XT servo-wave brakes I have had (have a set on my sanction now) are AWESOME, this is based on a comparison/testing on all the brakes I have used.

Hope mono mini
    Hope M4
    Hope Moto V2
    Avid Juicy 5
    Juicy 7
    Juicy Carbons
    Magura Marta

Obviously different strokes for different folks, but the XT can/have been used for XC across to DH with successful results

TBH, it's personal preference, I find the XT to be superior in a lot of ways, and I love the subtle way they just anchor-down when you are not even aware that you've pulled the lever, modulation is superb IMHO, I didnt fiddle with them out of the box, but again, it's all personal experience.