cappadocia.

roryboy
roryboy Posts: 44
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking of heading to Cappadocia next may. I'm finding flights from Scotland~London~Istanbul~Fethiye very expensive. Has anyone been or any tips to pass on ? Also whats the best bike to take ? I was thinking mountain bike but i also have a touring bike. Cheers

Roryboy.

Comments

• CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    Cycled through Cappadocia a few weeks back, lovely region. Dunno much about flights, I went the long way but I would say if you've limited time you're probably better flying to Antalya rather than Fethiye. The coast road is very scenic but would eat into your time.

Cappaocia itself, not that much advice really. It's not a big region but there is a fair bit to see and explore. If you want to go off road and explore the valleys then it's got to be the mountain bıke but otherwise I'd go for a tourer and explore on foot (worked for me). The roads are good and there's even something of a cycle lane near Goreme although it does seem to have bamboozled the locals!
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    .Hired a bike when there super cheap..Plenty to hire near the Backpackers hostels in Goreme..Cant reaklly account for the view..the most stunning where just random ventures up side roads like in the rock church area to an uexpected vista of fairyhouse rock formations..Perhaps take a couple of hostel excursions as a taster before deciding where to pedal..
    http://www.explore.co.uk/Explore/UI/Dos ... rs/CCF.pdf
    I like this cycling holiday company..gives you some ideas if you dont want to join them
    jc
  • I thought this would be a thread about some new form of coffee!
  • roryboy
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out the website of the explore company although they dont cover a great distance according to their itinerary.
  • Hi,

I've been working in western Turkey for a couple of years, but not Cappadocia. The easiest way to get around is by bus - not the local dolmus (minbus), you won't need that if you have a bike, but the long distance coaches. They are very comfortable, not expensive and can be very frequent. Istanbul to Galipoli, where I work, is about £15 single, takes 5 hours, and there's a bus almost every hour.

Turkish fly every day, sometimes twice a day direct Manchester to Istanbul, typically £250 return. Hop on the metro (the station's inside the international terminal) to Esenler (75p) for the bus station and find a bus - it's huge and there are literally hundreds of buses to all the major towns and cities. The buses certainly take bikes and anything else more or less wrapped up.

The locals are really friendly, but often speak no English - and since they have a different alphabet (sort of) the pronounciations are a bit different. But, you really wil have very few problems.

The roads are not great - I would not take my roadie there - but the hybrid would be OK, and an MTB probably slightly better - as long as it's not too heavy and slow. Maps are not great in Turkey and you are not supposed to have a gps - but I've not had any problems.

I've cycled all over the Canakkale and Gallipoli region on a local £100 MTB, and apart from a few tourist buses never had any traffic problems - but you need to avoid the main roads. The back roads are very quiet but you can have problems with the shepherd dogs - they protect the sheep and goats from wolves, and they really are equipped for it - I've been chased a few times but never actually bitten. I think if you stand your ground they back off. But don't let that put you off.

The beer's OK, the wine's OK, it's not a Euro zone, and the food can be fantastic, and not expensive.

Great place on a bike, away from the main cities. Enjoy it!

Andy
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I was there July 08. Turkey is brilliant, Cappadocia is jaw dropping and the people are great. We hired a kiddie carrier car/van but saw lots of bikes and the roads are good.

You would probably do better to fly to Ankara it is closer than the airports you mention and then cycle over a few days or bus it.

You'll love it
  • roryboy
    Brilliant info guys, cheers for that. I've been to Morocco and i loved the place
    and i can imagine the problems i thought i'd have in Morocco are the same for turkey. The people made the trip for me and i'm sure the Turks will do just the same.
    The back and forgotten roads of mallorca was my destination this year and it turned out to be a really brilliant trip although everyone speaks english now and makes for easy travelling but locals really took to me 'cause i was touring under my own steam. A very different view on Mallorca now.

Roryboy.