new BA size restrictions for bikes

birodas
birodas Posts: 24
edited October 2009 in MTB general
From October onwards you can ship a bike for free with British Airways as long as you comply with these dimensions: 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) and stay under 23 kg.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ne ... blic/en_gb

But also the bike must be in a "Recognised bicycle bag."
-Compact bag for dismantled bicycle
-A folding bicycle bag. Folding bicycle bag
-A hard-shell case for a bicycle. Hard-shell bicycle case

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_gb

I looked at bike bags online and the cheapest flexible ones are taller than 75 cm. I have a ticket wit BA and want to bring a hardtail on the cheap. Does anyone know of small bike bag up tor £50 or suggest another way to pack the bike for checked luggage? I don't understand why BA they won't accept a padded cardboard box or some other container. It has also occurred to me to make my own bag out of cordura and foam or just put the frame and wheels in the middle of a bouldering mat with some extra padding and have it wrapped. Any related experiences or suggestions?

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
  • birodas
    I had also found the Dakine bag that just fits, but both these bags are expensive at £150 to £200 and heavy (10 kg). Maybe a regular flexible bag will do if I fold the loose material to fit the dimensions. Does anyone have experience in taking flexible bags with BA?
  • RealMan
    When you're sitting in the plane, don't look out the window at them casually tossing your soft bag (with bike in) off the trolley thing. Don't look at them throwing it into the plane, and definitely, whatever you do, don't look at them throw suitcases on to your bag.

For planes, I'd always go hard case.
  • birodas
    Humm, good point. Do you reckon that checked luggage is worse treated than shiiping by land? I have had no trouble shipping bikes by courrier, knock on wood.
  • RealMan
    Don't have a clue, sorry.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I have had the odd broken deurallier but generally no issues taking bikes in softbags (or on occasion cardboard bike boxes) and I have been for 15 years. RM is right though ... don't look as you will sh1t yourself. Make sure you pack the bike properly (frame spacers at teh drop outs, something between the axles and the frame etc). Hard cases will always be the preferred method to avoid damage an I wouldn't put a superlight MTB or roadrace bike in a softbag, but they're also often the heaviest and most expensive solution

Personally, I'd give BA a call for guidance. It's interesting that they specifically don't mention carboard shipping boxes but this could be just so you don't turn up insisting on checking your Kraken in with some weetabix boxes around your top tube. Packing max dimensions are often a "maximum total of W, H and L" rather than individual limits (although I see that BA don't say that in this case)

As for paying, I usually end up paying something, different airlines have different policies but 75cm max height does sound quite short, fairly sure the bag I use is >1m tall

/edit; RM, I *like* that DHB case you linked. bloody good price too although you'd have to perhaps pack tyres, saddle etc in other checkin luggage to get it under 23kg total. There maybe one of those in my future!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    first time I took a bike abroad to tour we turned up at airport with bikes, they gave us a massive plastic bag and wheel wheeled em in, taped up the end and sent them on thier way.

Flown to Alps with my bike in soft bag four times - no damage done and no worries.

However BA is ever more prescriptive on their dimensions and so on. Will have to watch it and try and adhere next season. Either that or drive.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I have used a soft bag with a cardboard box fitting neatly inside it successfully, cheaper and lighter than a hard case with more protection than a soft case.

Get a bike box and cut it down, re-glue ends, etc. and you have a good compromise.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Smuggle it across the border up your ****.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • birodas
    what's your problem. Breaking too much wind?
  • Cassette pointing in the way please. Mine punched a hole right through the bag.