Lake District

Shorty12
Shorty12 Posts: 478
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Ok off to the lake district for a couple of days, I was wondering where the best bike rides are don't mind them long or rough. Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• tnwoolley
    tnwoolley Posts: 114
    Borrowdale Bash:

Start in Keswick, head out on the road to Borrowdale, bear left up a track towards Ashness Bridge, keep going till you reach a farm with a big car park, go right and ford the stream, up a rise, very cool technical descent from Watendlath to Rosthwaite, up Honister Pass, double back on yourself to the right on a bridleway, round a fell, another great descent into Grange, turn left and head up a fair old climb, fast bridleway alongside Catbells into Portinscale then you're back in Keswick in time for tea!

Its about 25Km and flippin brilliant!
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    Sounds good any maps?
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Have a look at http://www.bogtrotters.org/show_album.php?album_id=1006 - route map and gpx files

Loads of other routes on there as well - some of em are 'cheeky' though.

Whereabouts are you staying? Whinlatter is fun for a trail centre, Grizedale forest has some great biking but I wouldn't bother with the North Face trail apart from for getting to other bits.

The VG guide book is very good.
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    skiddaw loop is very good fun. i cant find my link for the map but i know you can get a map card in the cotswolds shop in keswick itself. couple of different optins to start either underscar carpark or from keswic along the old railway line, this lets you come back down latrigg which is good fast fun, walkers beware :lol:

not what i was looking for but awsome downhill, can be done on a hardtail.
    http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk/ ... =skiddawDH
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Shorty12 wrote:
    Ok off to the lake district for a couple of days, I was wondering where the best bike rides are don't mind them long or rough. Any ideas?

Depends where you're basing yourself really - there's so much good riding in the Lakes it's hard to know where to start. Can you give us an idea?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Heh nice timing for this thread, I'm heading up to nottingham for a conference I was told about yesterday in january and hoping to sneak a ride in before I have to turn back.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • grumsta
    Er.... Nottingham isn't really very close to the Lake District. Might be better with the Peak District?
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    grumsta wrote:
    Er.... Nottingham isn't really very close to the Lake District. Might be better with the Peak District?

:lol::lol:
  • dave_hill
    Dav1 wrote:
    I'm heading up to nottingham for a conference I was told about yesterday in january and hoping to sneak a ride in before I have to turn back.

Sheesh... :roll:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Home will be closer to Nottingham than the Lake District.
    Frank Yates
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    grumsta wrote:

<--- EPIC FAIL!

sorry was a pre coffee post...

Seriously not with it today. TGIF eh?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Try the Walna Scar Road. It's a bridleway that goes over from Coniston into Dunnerdale. I only had an evening so rode up from Consiton to the top and then back down, although you could very easily incorporate it into a longer ride. The descent down into Conistion is awesome. Fast with loose rock, it burns your brakes but it's one of the best descents I've done in the UK.
  • grumsta
    Yeah Walna Scar is awesome. Best to go from Coniston to Torver on road, then a steep road climb and bits of forest road/singletrack to Stephenson Ground. Then take BW to Seathwaite (great rocky descent). From there it's a brutal climb right to the top of Walna Scar, then the great descent back down to Coniston.
  • tnwoolley wrote:
    Borrowdale Bash:

Its about 25Km and flippin brilliant!

+1! My favorite ride without a doubt 8) 8) 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • dave_hill
    grumsta wrote:
    Yeah Walna Scar is awesome. Best to go from Coniston to Torver on road, then a steep road climb and bits of forest road/singletrack to Stephenson Ground. Then take BW to Seathwaite (great rocky descent). From there it's a brutal climb right to the top of Walna Scar, then the great descent back down to Coniston.

Cracking ride, it's only about 13 miles but it's an absolute beast!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic