Silence - Lotto to become Omega Pharma - Lotto in 2010

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited October 2009 in Pro race
They turn their sponsors over pretty often - Davitamon, Predictor and Silence.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Sportwereld/Ar ... 102009_029
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's still the same sponsor, jsut a different name
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Omega Pharma is the parent company that owns Davitamon, Predictor and Silence.

Although looking at the company website, it's strange that they're not using the cycling team to promote any of their other brands... they still haven't used Paranix (headlice treatment) or Wartner (wart removal) :shock:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I love the whole idea of pharmaceutical companies sponsoring cycling teams....
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    bompington wrote:
    I love the whole idea of pharmaceutical companies sponsoring cycling teams....
    Consider it a Test Team, like Cervelo :lol: :?

disclaimer: blabla
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yeah - Predictor was a pregnancy test kit they were marketing, can't remember what Silence was - but you get the picture.

It's only like going from "Team Chapstick" to "Pfizer/Wyeth Pro Cylcing Team"
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • afx237vi
    Silence is some kind of anti-snoring spray. I've seen that advertised on TV here. No idea what Davitamon is/was.
  • TommyEss
    From a quick glance of their webpage, looks like multivitamins.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Of the three Davitamon is the most familiar household name brand in Belgium and Holland. Vitamin supplements, Vitamin for kids, etc.
  • Isn't the Tour of Cali sponsored by a company that make EPO?
  • afx237vi
    Yeah, Amgen, makers of epogen and aranesp...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amgen#Products

Do riders still use aranesp? The wiki page made me remember Museeuw and his wasp nests:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/fir ... ary-6-2005
  • It's strange how many pro cyclists are anaemic :roll:

I remember reading that Pantani's iron count was 1200
  • TommyEss
    Just keep in mind that EPO is very much a lifesaver to patients who need it - just as steroids have a very serious and important role in patient care.

It's only the idiots abusing it that have given these a bad name - they're still great drugs (in context)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    afx237vi wrote:
    Omega Pharma is the parent company that owns Davitamon, Predictor and Silence.

Although looking at the company website, it's strange that they're not using the cycling team to promote any of their other brands... they still haven't used Paranix (headlice treatment) or Wartner (wart removal) :shock:
    That would make for interesting kit! Black dots for the former and lumps for the second!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    TommyEss wrote:
    Just keep in mind that EPO is very much a lifesaver to patients who need it - just as steroids have a very serious and important role in patient care.

It's only the idiots abusing it that have given these a bad name - they're still great drugs (in context)

Mortality in Cancer Patients Being Treated for Anemia

Darbepoetin alfa 26%
    Placebo 20%

Note: Based on a 16-week study of 985 patients.
    Source: Dr. Glaspy

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_h ... n29427937/
  • Remember that EPO was originally developed for use by Renal Dialysis patients. There it was a miracle drug, saving the need for repeated blood transfusions & the associated risks of infection & iron overload.
    The use in oncology was a further licence.
    Also, the article needs reading, notably this bit.
    "Many studies have shown that the use of erythropoietin analogues does significantly decrease the number of blood transfusions needed in chemotherapy-related anemia, and these analogues have long been approved for this indication"
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • TommyEss
    I had dialysis in my head - but wrote chemo - my bad.

Can't say that a 16 week study of 985 patients is particularly representative though - read "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre.